• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Asus TUSL2-C

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

microfire

Can anyone tell me if its possible to change the V-core with this board? I read an artical that stated there was no option for this. In the overclockers data base it looks like some people were able to change this.
I may need this board soon since my board is dying. There are only a few new Asus TUSL2-C leaft now.
Without the V-core option this board will be useless.

The newer BIOSes certainly have Vcore adjustments. Everything I've used past 1011 has Vcore adjustments.

Here's a cut-n-paste from the Asus BIOS readme. Notice that version 1010 says "Add CPU Vcore setup item for Intel Tualatin CPU.". That's probably when Vcore adjustment was added to the BIOS:

---------TUSL2-C Tualatin Motherboard--------

BIOS
===============================================================
tslc1011.zip TUSL2-C BIOS Rev. 1011 Jan/18/2002
1. Fix DMI information cannot be loaded from Winbond W49V002FA
firmware hub to main memory.
2. Revise DMI maximum memory module size information to 512M Bytes.
3. Follow Intel Pentium III naming scheme.
4. Fix PS2 keyboard sometimes cannot work in jumper mode.

tslc1010.zip TUSL2-C BIOS Rev. 1010 Sep/21/2001
1. Add "CPU Vcore" setup item for Intel Tualatin CPU.
2. Fix i815E VGA BIOS internal graphics unable to turn on monitor after
system resumes from APM standby state.

tslc1009.zip TUSL2-C BIOS Rev. 1009 Aug/09/2001
1. Improved version for engineering.

tslc1008.zip TUSL2-C BIOS Rev. 1008 Aug/07/2001
1. Fix USB modems cannot work after system resumes from Suspend-to-RAM (S3)
state under WinME or Win98SE.
2. Fix the reading of "JTPWR Temperature" hardware monitor setup item updates
slowly.
3. Fix HDD Keeper PCI card shows "Divide Error" message on the screen and
caused system to halt during boot up.
4. Fix false alarm from hardware monitor during POST.
5. Fix Logitech MouseMan PS/2 mouse cannot wake up the system from
Suspend-to-RAM (S3) state, hibernate (S4) state and soft-off (S5) state
by clicking under Windows 2000.
6. Fix system enters Suspend state later than the period specified by the
option of "Suspend Mode" setup item under MS-DOS.
7. Fix iPanel sometimes shows incorrect CPU temperature reading.
8. Add "iPanel Update Timer" setup item.
9. Turn off PS/2 keyboard LEDs before the system enters soft-off state.
10. Correct DMI CPU voltage information.
11. Correct DMI ROM size information.
12. Fix CPU fan is not turned on immediately after the system resumes from
standby (S1) state if Intel ATA-100 driver has been installed.
13. Fix Windows 2000 and Windows XP cannot be installed if APIC mode is enabled.
14. Support I/O APIC mode.
15. Fix "CPU Frequency Multiple" setup item shows incorrect frequency
multiple for Tualatin CPU with locked frequency multiple.

tslc1007.zip TUSL2-C BIOS Rev. 1007 Jun/05/2001
1. Support Tualatin CPU A-1 stepping.

=================================================================
Manual

Thanks mate.

Which Asus site address do I find that read me with that BIOS?

I can only find this one: http://www.asus.com/support/download/item.aspx?ModelName=TUSL2-C

TUSL2-C File Type BIOS
File Name 1012tc.zip
File Size 191965 bytes
Version 1012
Date 2002/06/14
Download 16108 BIOS Update Step

Description
Keep CPU fan turned on in Standby(S1) state if Intel Tualatin CPU is used.
Fix CPU speed quick selection setup menu shows wrong options for Intel Tualatin CPU with locked freqency multiple > 13
Change VGA BIOS for I815E and I815EG based projects.
Support IDE 48-bit LBA addressing mode.

mircofire said:
Thanks mate.

Which Asus site address do I find that read me with that BIOS?

I can only find this one: http://www.asus.com/support/download/item.aspx?ModelName=TUSL2-C

TUSL2-C File Type BIOS
File Name 1012tc.zip
File Size 191965 bytes
Version 1012
Date 2002/06/14
Download 16108 BIOS Update Step

Description
Keep CPU fan turned on in Standby(S1) state if Intel Tualatin CPU is used.
Fix CPU speed quick selection setup menu shows wrong options for Intel Tualatin CPU with locked freqency multiple > 13
Change VGA BIOS for I815E and I815EG based projects.
Support IDE 48-bit LBA addressing mode.

From here.

Cool it has all of the BIOS's there.

What do you think the 1014tc001 does. There isnt any info on that one. I guess thats the one to use then.

I have now purchased this board and are now waiting for it to arrive.

I wish I could let you know what the changes are but there is no read me in 1014 zip file.

I tryed that site but it not in english. I checked the downloads but there could not find anything.
Can you tell me what the hacked BIOS does, it sound kind of exciting. Can you send it to me please.

Cheers.

wicked! I got the files, except the flasher I found that doing a mirror search. What is your memory bandwidth like.
Also do you recommend getting a P3-S later on. Or is the celeron almost just as good at 1.55ghz.

6502kid said:
Tualatin cellys rule !

As a former Tualeron user and a current PIII-S user I can truthfully say: PIII-S's Rule! (Not that Tualerons are bad, they're not. It's just that the PIII-S's are so schweet)

I'd recommend getting one if you have the scratch.

microfire - Where did you get a new Tusl2-C from? Do they have more?

Well, I have been using the P3-S in my primary box for about
a year and a half now so I obviously agree with that.

I was just pointing out what a great deal those cellys are.
I think a 1.26 P3-S still runs about $150 more than a 1.1a

Micro, did you get one of those bios's installed yet ?
Update us...

The place I ordered the Asus TUSL2-C from is taking ages to delivier it. I ordered it last wednesday. During that time my SA6R died on Friday from bad caps syndrome (BCS). Lucky for me I finally got my new P4 and other stuff on Friday (new main rig). I have only just had time to get it going now Sunday. Had to restore my hard dirve since the SA6R death stuffed up my boot files. So I can get back on the forums.

I have downloaded all the Asus BIOS's ready for when it arrives. Can you notice a boost/see the difference between the celeron and the P3-S. Isn't the difference only about 5-10% or does it just feel better and running harder with its 512k cache.

I also got a Thermaltake Volcano 9 for the celeron. I know it does 1.6ghz with stock cooler at high voltage but gets alittle hot so this cooler will hold it there I think and may even let me hit 1.65ghz. The problem with these smart and silent thermaltake fans is they are not that silent even on the low setting, due to the fan bearing making and funny noise. Yeah but they are silent as for air sound when on low setting.

I will update when I get the Asus. Yes the P3 core is one hell of a processor. That BIOS will kick ***.

5 or 10% in most benches is right. But you also get the
advantage of faster memory speeds with the P3-s.
(Score about 1100/1100 or so at 148fsb in Sandra 2001 mem bench..)

I read that some programs get more of an advantage from the
increased L2 cache than others. Unreal Tournament is one of
these, and since that is what I use this thing for, that is good.
The P3-s seems faster in UT at 1405 than either of the Celleys
at 1500+, but they all run it great.

Yeah some egg tryed to tell me a P3 celeron was no good for games. I got 9000 3D marks with my set up which I thought was good considering. l can fully play UT2003 at 1024x768x32 with all settings max including sound.
I may wait till P3 1.4 drops to the lowest cost before I buy. or maybe the lower ones might be better if I can get that Asus to go high FSB. Then again the P3-S may never be cheap just like the coppermine 1ghz never dropped very low.

mircofire said:
I may wait till P3 1.4 drops to the lowest cost before I buy. or maybe the lower ones might be better if I can get that Asus to go high FSB. Then again the P3-S may never be cheap just like the coppermine 1ghz never dropped very low.

My guess is that the PIII-S 1.4 won't drop much below where it's already been for the last 4+ months. Thanks Intel.

I don't think you'd be able to get one of the 1.13's or 1.26's to do too much better than 160-170 FSB, if nothing else due to out of spec PCI/AGP up at those kinds of FSBs and the 1.4s can do 160+ with a good board and cooling anyway.

I'd stick with a 1.4. You can get them off egay for $150-160 most of the time. They're usually OEMs but I've bought three of them and they're working fine for me (so far, knock wood!). New, sealed-in-the-box retail versions go for $180-200 off egay so you could save a few dollars that way as well.

6502kid said:

Micro, did you get one of those bios's installed yet ?
Update us...

Sorry to dig this up from the past but I have been meaning to update ya on this.

Yep I got the board a few weeks back and its great. My board came with 1012 bios standard. I am now using the 1012beta moded bios with it. The bios seems to do much the same performance wise.

As for the overclocking the 1.1a with the beast volcano 9 heatsink, it was running heaps cooler to the touch than the standard one, could not check it because the board does not detect the temp but the looks of things like my old SA6R did, which was weird since the temp sensor is in the die. I wasn't able to really get any higher mhz than before but it did run alot more stable since I could loop 3dmark without crashing for an hour at default voltage, normally this would crash with in mintues.

All tests were done with orginal 1012 bios at 3-3-3 7-9 memory setting.
I got to 1551mhz at 1.61v using prime95 for 12 hours before I stopped it
1606mhz at 1.66v prime95 halted after about half an hour
1650mhz at 1.71v didn't run prime for very long at all, very unstable
Above 1650mhz sometimes winXP would load and sometimes not.

Yep that about it, can't really do much more than 1.55ghz. I think trying to run the celeron at 1.71v to get 1606mhz might not be worth it for 50mhz, high voltage, and an increase in fan speed?

I tested my memory to be error free at 141mhz 2-2-3 5-7 1T with memtest86.
Sisoft mem scores= 1026 / 1007
Im happy with 1gb.

Machine runs awesome at 1551mhz and never misses a beat.

I ended up repairing the old SA6R by replacing 18 caps myself, I couldn't believe it worked again since im ain't no soldier wizard. The next day my Asus arrived :\ ,anyhow its like a new system now.
Brand new mainboard, seagate baracuda V 60gb, enermax 350w FC.

The readings have always been way to low, they must be incorrect. Ive used both programs. The temps are pretty much static and only raise very slighly on full load.
This happen even with the stock intel heatsink when I first had the machine running, my room temp was 28c and I was getting 31c for the reading.
Something weird is going on since I have used prime95 for an hour and temp took ages to get upto 45c. Its now 4 hours since I last used prime95 and temps are still 45c, no load now I checked with alt/ctrl/del.
Yeah somethings not right here.

oppps sorry just using asus probe then and the temp did move to 52c in about 10 mins with prime95. The voltage did not move on any lines at all in both programs. I expecting temps to be high side because today I got rid of the noise 'smart fan 2' and put on a regular case fan at 7v for the cpu, also put 7v on the case intake fan. I hate overloud fans.
Smart fan 2 at low rpm have bearing noise.

Back