• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

CPU or HDD?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

flixotide

Welp.. I'm having a prob here that seems to be related to my 1.0ghz tully. But sorry for posting the Q here if the prob really can't be chipset/chip related...

I have two similar Quantum Fireball Plus AS ATA-133 disks, one is in my XP2100+ rig, the other in my Tully 1.0 rig.

The HD in my tully rig runs flat out 50-60% of the time, really racing ahead all of the time, whilst the AMD hardly blinks.

The mobo for the tully is an MSI-6368 5x, which according to their homepages makes it good for ATA100..
I've got 512 mb of ram in the tully-tut, and the pagefile isn't very big, usually swings around 300 megs.
Used mem is never higher than 200 megs, as the tully only folds and serves as an FTP server.

Runs Win2Ksp3

So question really is, if there is something related to the tully that makes it very disk intensive? cache or something? or is it the mobo ****? or the hdd?

I'm lost... advice needed.

Cheers, FLixotide

Flixotide,

No, there is nothing specific to tuallies that makes them more disk intensive.
You could be seeing the effect of not running in ATA100 (UDMA 5) mode. You can check the running mode by looking into control panel->system->hardware->device manager, IDE/ATA Device controllers, ... which is the currently running mode (PIO/DMA/UDMA). If you want to know the exact mode, then something like
DTEMP will tell you (mind, don't leave this utility running, cause it has a few sideeffects).

Now, if you determine that your disk is already running UDMA5 you will have to look for things such as :

- Disk fragmentation
- Daemons running in background
- Win2K standard daemons (i.e indexer, spooler, ...)

to explain disk accesses.

If you can see that UDMA5 is NOT being used, then look for things such as :

- mobo IDE drivers updated
- Correct UDMA3+ cable (80 wires)
- Bios or Win2K limited DMA mode (try to change max. mode in
device manager)

Regards
FTC

Thanks my man.. I'm on it now... I'll keep ya posted...

Maybe I could get a mod to move this post into the storage forum, now that my CPU suspicion has been cleared.

EDIT:

Welp, it IS running UDMA5... fragmention is as pretty low...

Spool service has been killed, so has diff. other services, computer browser, NETbios helper... the basis ones to kill to highen safety.

Cables were changed saturday...

Oh heck.. I've got two new Maxtors in the mail... then I'll see...

Cheers and thanks again, Flixotide

Last edited:
Back