• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Which 21 inch monitor? NEC FE1250 or IBM P260 DVI+SVGA (trinitron)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

richklein

Hi all,

My recent 21 inch monitor that I got from a local PC show is not working out & Dell wont help me (its a dell dude) because I dont have any paperwork (even though the monitor is under warranty).

I decided that maybe I should just look into a different CRT monitor.

I have narrowed it down to either the NEC FE1250 or IBM P260 DVI+SVGA.

They both have similar specs, but I was hoping for some real world experience, or a different recommendation. Both are around 300 bucks & I am looking to buy from merkortech.com.

Here are the links:

NEC FE1250

or

Sony (IBM)

Any suggestions or feedback would be great!

Thanks,
Rich

I saw this a few days ago but didn't have the time to respond. Hope its not too late.

These are used monitors, so the big issue isn't how the NEC compared to the IBM when it was new. Its how each individual monitor was used and handled after it was bought, and how ethical is the company selling them now?

I've bought a couple of used monitors and they have never performed as well as a new one. In my experience, and from what I've heard talking with others who have gone this route, you're not going to get a $1,000 monitor for $300.

You can still get a great deal, and for some applications this is a really good way to go. If you use mostly office apps and are just looking for more screen area instead of superior color and sharpness, I'd strongly recommend considering a good used 21" monitor over a cheap (KDS, Samsung) new one. But if you want a great monitor for gaming and video, go in knowing the technology you're buying is a generation (or three) old and has most of its projected life behind it.

And know you could get totally screwed by a sleazy dealer, like Rich was with the 21" Dell he bought at a show. I'd go over the reseller with a fine tooth comb before ordering. Check Reseller Ratings, email the BBB where they operate, ask for customer's you can contact...do everything to make sure they are being honest before you hand them your money.

Bottom line, I wouldn't buy a used monitor online unless I'd worked with the company before, and unless they offered a standard six month warranty and optional extended coverage. The risk of having a problem and being screwed out of a good chunk of money is just too great.

And for $300, I'd probably recommend a new Viewsonic P95F+ over either of these. Or save the money for a good new 21". You can get an excellent new 21" Sony, NEC or Viewsonic for between $550-650. That's a lot of money, but if it lasts four years and you buy two or three used monitors in that time...well, you can do the math.

BHD

I got a 21" Sony Trinitron 500PS which was a referb, and it
looks and works like its brand new. (So far, had it 2 months)

My brother does some reselling and I picked this up for 200
bucks.

I bought 2 IBM 17 inchers, with Sony tubes in, factory refurbished, and it was an awesome deal, the monitors looked very new and the quality is awesome, no problems at all, I'd recommend IBM factory refurbs to anyone. Actually I'd recommend IBM hardware as a star used buy of any sort, it's generally bullet proof. When new it's unexciting and a little more expensive, but that solid quality gets you a great deal on the used market. I've had 5 IBM monitors in all, all 5 still work good, even the ones built in 1984, 1989 and 1991.

regards,

Road Warrior

Back