• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Lowering Multi up the FSB?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

dreamtfk

My friend told me that lowering the Multiplier while upping the FSB is a good choice. Is this true? I don't visit the boards too often so I'm not up on AMD OC info. I have a 1700+

btw: What about voltage? I think I'm at 1.75

Increasing the bandwidth of your FSB is always good. Lots of people will lower their Multi's and go as high on the FSB as their board and RAM can handle. Memory bandwidth is very important when doing this. Some good 3200 or 3500 RAM can work wonders with overclocks.

dreamtfk said:
My computer only uses 2100 ram.:(

I use nothing but pc2100: most will do 150mhz fsb and if you get lucky you can hit 180 mhz with it:)

I have two sticks of Micron-chipped generic ram that absolutely ROCK at high speeds :D

To hit the higher bus speeds with ram you often need to increase the voltage to it, just like you do with the cpu.
CAUTION is required: you may damage the ram over 2.8 volts (spec is up to 2.7 I think.) A fan blowing directly on the ram does wonders- I have run up to 3.5 volts for months at a time with no trouble and I have killed a stick of ram at 3 volts with no direct airflow.

They look cool, and they look like they work and they do, but only to a point, everything i have heard about them is saying no, so most people dont believe they are worth what they cost.

Matt

Ok one more question. My stock voltage is 1.7 does lowering sometimes work better for OC'ing? I'm leary about upping it because I have heard bad things about messing with the CPU vcore.

cooling

Watch your load temperature with a program like MBM5. Also run Prime95 torture test for a few hours to test stability.

With a Volcano 7, you may not want to run the vcore higher than 1.8v or so. Although my girl runs a 1600+ at 10x166 with 1.85v, using crucial PC2100 at 2.8v. It all depends on the temps as far as vcore is concerned.

Re: cooling

Arkaine23 said:
Although my girl runs a 1600+ at 10x166 with 1.85v, using crucial PC2100 at 2.8v. It all depends on the temps as far as vcore is concerned.

I have not seen anywhere in my BIOS to change my Memory Voltage. I also am using Crucial PC2100.

memory voltage will most likely be listed as VDIMM
it is possible that your motherboard does not allow for it to be changed in the bios. i don't know as i am not experienced with your board.

Another way memory voltage might be listed is as "vmem," although I am not familiar with that board either.
Its an Asus mobo, right? A7v266?

You might want to check the Asus section in AMD Motherboards (or the correct manufacturer if I'm wrong ;))

Back