• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

differant coolents..warm or cool

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

matt2364

Hey could someone explain why certain liquids keep the cpu at cooler temperatures than others....at above freezing temperatures....

Last edited:
matt2364 said:
Hey could someone explain to me why differant liquids keep the cpu cooler or warmer....?
Not really sure what you mean here but I'll try. The BEST cooling liquid is pure water. By itself, it has no corrosion inhibitors though. Water Wetter, Purle Ice and the like contain some corrosion prevention AND they help to make the water more 'slippery' and less viscous. This aids in the waters abilty to remove heat. If you are going sub freezing temps, these wont do anything to prevent freezing. Methanol and antifreeze will help with the freezing, but you need the proper mixture. While we are on the subject of ANTIFREEZE, basically it sucks at thermal transfer and hinders cooling abiltiy... It's only good use is for corrosion protection and sub freezing temps. It is much more viscous (sticky - thick) than water.

Specific heat.

Different liquids (H20 vs alcohol vs etc....) can hold different amounts of heat before a temperature increase of 1C.

I'm sure someone else can add to this.

*edit*

OH! Also, because water has a high specific heat it manages to absorb a lot of heat (relative to alcohol) before it increases in temperature. This is good because a cooler liquid will absorb heat better than a warmer liquid.

*edit2*

I believe Joe Citarella had showcased an overclocker's article on this subject once. Try looking for it.

"Data on Coolants and Liquids Used in Computer Watercooling"
Scott Gamble, aka r0ckstarbob - 8/10/02

Last edited:
liquids have different properties which effect heat transfer... i discussed heat transfer in the "how a radiator works" thread. viscosity is an example of a property that has a notable effect on heat transfer between liquids and solids, it effects the amount of interaction between molecules.

information pertaining to the article referenced is available in the sticky by rocksarbob at the top of the watercooling forum.

is specific heat the same thing as heat capacity? Because what you are talking about wangster is heat capacity I believe. Are they the same, i dont remember?

methanol is much less viscous than antifreeze and lowers the freezing point of water suitably for many subzero C applications. Windshield wiper fluid is 33methanol:66water.

Last edited:
I think we are on the same wavelength I.M.O.G.

I have always thought that specific heat was the amount of heat that is necessary to raise a standardized amount of the mass in question by 1C

Usually measured like J/mg K. (It's been a while since Chemistry)

i think we fielded his question fairly well, sorry for the off topic now...

yes, im working on another one of me and gus, gonna put it up soon whitehawk. :):beer:

Back