• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Testing overclocked memory

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Tipycol

I'm using 256MB of PC2100 K-byte CAS2.5 and I'm trying to overclock it. It hasn't had any memtest problems for 15 hours at 148MHz, so I decide to increase the timings to 2-2-2-5 from 2.5-3-3-6. To my surprise, no errors come up. What I would like to know is if the timings affect Memtest's tests (does increasing the CAS usually bring up errors if there's a problem)? And if there is another program that I should use to test the overclocked ram (something that doesn't need an OS to work)?

Tipycol said:
What I would like to know is if the timings affect Memtest's tests (does increasing the CAS usually bring up errors if there's a problem)? And if there is another program that I should use to test the overclocked ram (something that doesn't need an OS to work)?

Yes, and no.. unless you wanna buy a very expensive DIMM tester. There's always docmem, but that's basically the same thing as memtest.

Hmm...so if there weren't any errors with memtest I can trust running the ram at CAS2 and 148MHz?

Tipycol said:
I'm using 256MB of PC2100 K-byte CAS2.5 and I'm trying to overclock it. It hasn't had any memtest problems for 15 hours at 148MHz, so I decide to increase the timings to 2-2-2-5 from 2.5-3-3-6. To my surprise, no errors come up. What I would like to know is if the timings affect Memtest's tests (does increasing the CAS usually bring up errors if there's a problem)? And if there is another program that I should use to test the overclocked ram (something that doesn't need an OS to work)?

in my experience, I get better bandwidth from 2-3-3-6-8-4 way-1T.

in fact, I got about 200mb more than at 2-2-2-5.

hmm. almost no relation to the question, but hey, some helpful info nonetheless.

Tipycol said:
Hmm...so if there weren't any errors with memtest I can trust running the ram at CAS2 and 148MHz?

Yeah... tho I've found in practice sometimes I need to run it a mhz or 2 lower than it's max tested memtest speed. Best games I've found to test real world stability from a CPU/Memory standpoint are any games based off the unreal engine.

Well Windows' registry got corrupted even though it was passing all the prime95 tests at 148MHz. I don't have any unreal based games so I can't really test its real world stability. I guess I'll just lower it by a few MHz.

Back