• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How do you know when your PSU is "dying" ?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

gingo

I hear people say stuff like "I'm getting a new power supply because my ______ PSU is dying." How do you know its dying?

When ever I bootup (cold boot) my comp my computer makes a strange noise, sounds like its coming from PSU fans, also a high pitch sound that seems to come from the PSU also. It stops after about 5 minutes after I cold boot. My voltages seem good though. Not sure if this means my PSU is "dying". Its an Antec True 430 Watt PSU.

Sounds more like the fan in the PSU is dying. Try replacing it, or do a search here for how to lube the fan bearings. If you choose to go that route, use electrical or sewing machine oil, and stay away from WD-40.

Hmm, I'll think about replacing it or lubing it. But my main question was how poeple know their PSU is actually dying.

Obviously, most people hook it up to that highly sophisticated automated test machine they have lying in the kitchen, between their blender and George Foreman Grill, and it probes into each point in the circuit board, compares the measured parameters with the accepted values, and then e-mails a diagnostic report to the manufacturer, right? But personally, I just measure the length of the flames that shoot out of the PSU -- Deer says that three inches or less is "within normal parameters".

I think most people just assume that if their computer reboots or locks up randomly, won't start, or makes a funny noise, then this must be due to the PSU -- or foreigners.

Back