• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FSB vs Clock speed????

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Neofate

Well as I am overclocking this board, it seems like 200FSB really needs voltage, and that makes it unstable. I can run 200FSB at 10x stable.. maaaybe 10.5.

Where is the medium to all of this?

Would it be better to back the FSB down to 160-170, maybe 180 and up the multi to obtain a higher overall clock speed?

What yields the best performance? Is there some sort of rule of thumb here?

IE: if you can go at 160+FSB X 15 multi equalling 2400Mhz then you are better off than 200FSB x 10 = 2000Mhz. Or is the 200Mhz FSB pull off the better performance overall regardless of it lacking 400Mhz in the top end?

Thanks for any and all opinions here!

P.S. What is the highest I can set Vdimm Voltage to be safe?

2.77? Higher lower?

Thanks!

WhiteHawk said:
a higher fsb will increase the speed of the memory, pci slots, hard drive, agp. i wouldnt go above 2.9 for vdimm

thats true in non-nforce2 boards, but he has a epox 8rda which locks the agp and pci which force the system no to overclocker the rest of the system,

I have the 8rda and I see better gain in a higher overclocks of processor speed;)

I preffer 208*12=2600 than 217*11.5=2500, why because you must increase memory volts, vdd, and the different I don't see in speed;)

A higher FSB at a lower clock speed is probably going equate to better performance than a higher clock speed at a lower FSB.

The higher the FSB the more data it can squeeze through the pipe at once, independant of the clock speed.

How that effects PCI/AGP locked boards or similar situations I am not at liberty or informed enough to discuss. You'll probably see the most difference in benchmarks or something.

votage settings: the safety of increasing your voltage partly depends on the temperature of the component you are increasing the voltage on. If you have enough cooling to keep the component cool then increasing the voltage is relatively safe. you shouldnt increase your voltage until you find the limit of your overclock at the current voltage setting, then bump up the voltage a little and increase your overclock a little and see if the voltage increase gives you more breathing room. less voltage = less heat.

Back