• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

serious 8rda+ problems

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

boogey

Registered
just finished building my new system.

8RDA+
256 MB twinmos pc3200
Sapphire 9500PRO
w/ Codegen 350W

When i try to boot it up, it shuts down after 2-10 secs...
getting quite desperate here...

now i have rebuilt the system from scratch...
still shuttin down... :(

It´s giving me that temp shutdown sound, but i really think a Volcano9 on full speed should be able to handle a 2100+, especially as it is running as a 1500+ from what i have seen the few times I have been able to reach post...

is it broken or could it be some other parts causing the trouble?

if it auto shutdown, then, it should be overheate problem or psu problem. however.. there are still other possibilities...

EluSiOn said:
if it auto shutdown, then, it should be overheate problem or psu problem. however.. there are still other possibilities...

please help me out with some solutions here.
can´t afford to send back the wrong parts for the moment.

btw, we are three with almost the same problem over at a swedish forum - sweclockers.com
only difference between mine and there problems is that their computers holds out a little bit longer.

NF2guy said:
P/S problem, memory problem, or CMOS battery problem.

I have managed to reach post a few times, and also get into BIOS, but only for a short while. It died before I had the time to check out anything in there.

Post can find memory, cpu, floppy and IDE-drives but after a while it shuts down and gives med the temp sound.

could it still be mem or cpu problems?

sirtoby said:
what does it say on the debug display?

a lot of things.
and it doesn´t say the same thing every time it shuts down...

i had a problem similar to that when i built my first computer

you may have done this already but check the power supply make sure it is on 115

when i had mine on 220 it would stay on for a few seconds and then shut down

D*** i cant get past 186 x 12.5 but i havent tried lower x's so i really dont know i can load windows @ 2380 but it is unstable i can run stable @2308 any sugesstions?

boogey said:

Post can find memory, cpu, floppy and IDE-drives but after a while it shuts down and gives med the temp sound.

That is not a temperature warning sound.
If your board is not liking your memory, then it will not boot into windows. Does the sound go like this...booooooooop........pe pooo, pe pooo, pe pooo.....

My 8RDA+ hated my Kingston value ram. Even if I changed the FSB to 134 from 133, I would get no boot to windows and that annoying "IM GONNA BLOW UP" beeping.LOL

NF2guy said:
That is not a temperature warning sound.
If your board is not liking your memory, then it will not boot into windows. Does the sound go like this...booooooooop........pe pooo, pe pooo, pe pooo.....

My 8RDA+ hated my Kingston value ram. Even if I changed the FSB to 134 from 133, I would get no boot to windows and that annoying "IM GONNA BLOW UP" beeping.LOL

spoke to an epox tech over at amdmb and he said that the siren sound was temp shutdown...
when it shuts down i have to pull out the power cord and reinsert it to get the computer to boot again...

the problem isn´t that it won´t boot into windows... have only got so far one time... it shuts down after a couple of seconds...

boogey said:

spoke to an epox tech over at amdmb and he said that the siren sound was temp shutdown...
Its not a heat issue with the siren. The shutdown feature is in the BIOS and is disabled by default.

You wouldnt create heat that fast on boot up for what your running anyway.

The board isnt taking to your memory to well. , OR you need to look at advanced chipset features and find out what you have changed for the worse. I would try loading the optimal defaults in the BIOS first.

NF2guy said:
Its not a heat issue with the siren. The shutdown feature is in the BIOS and is disabled by default.

You wouldnt create heat that fast on boot up for what your running anyway.

The board isnt taking to your memory to well. , OR you need to look at advanced chipset features and find out what you have changed for the worse. I would try loading the optimal defaults in the BIOS first.

problem is it shuts down before i have time to get into BIOS, so I havn´t changed anything...
The BIOS shutdown feature is disabled by default, but there is also a hardware implemented shutdown feature that reacts when the cpu reaches 110 degrees Celsius...

That one seems to be triggered, but it really shouldn´t reach 110 degrees so fast...

only thing I haven´t tried is running the system out of case... will try that tomorrow but i do not think it will help...

I have a similar problem...I can get past POST and when windows is at the loading screen it just restarts before it ends...

Any suggestions on what to do?

check your PS voltages with a multimeter. I think your power supply is fubar. Get a sparkle 350W :)

sparkle is cheapman's ferrari... I got a 400w... cost only US$60... but it is better than some antec psu.... and of course, the king of psu is definately PC Power & Cooling

dave4925 said:
check your PS voltages with a multimeter. I think your power supply is fubar. Get a sparkle 350W :)

I thought initially too that it may be the P/S but from my experience P/S overload occurs immediately and without warning - he is getting a sound. I would make damn sure that that heatsink is seated correctly - even at 1500+ these chips do create some heat quickly. If it's not the heatsink, pull the fsb jumper to go from 133/166 to 100/133. If that does not help try another stick of ram.

Good luck

Yo

It sounds like an overheating problem. How is your heatsink attached to the CPU? What kind of thermal paste are you using? What beep pattern is it? Here is a chart for the beep codes:

BIOS Beep Sound core list AWARD BIOS

Beep Sound Message
1 short(Beep) System booting is normally.
2 short(Beep) CMOS setting error
1 long - 1 short(Beep) DRAM ERROR
1 long - 2 short(Beep) Display card or monitor connected error
1 long - 3 short(Beep) Keyboard Error
1 long - 9 short(Beep) ROM Error
Long(Beep) continuous DRAM hasn't inset correctly.
Short(Beep) continuous POWER supply has problem.

AMI BIOS
1 short(Beep) DRAM Flash Error
2 short(Beep) DRAM ECC Check Error
3 short(Beep) DRAM Detect Fail
5 short(Beep) CPU Error
6 short(Beep) Keyboard Error
8 short(Beep) Display card memory Error
9 short(Beep) ROM Error
1 long - 3 short(Beep) DRAM Damage
1 long - 8 short(Beep) Display card or monitor connected error

Back