• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Bad Power Supply?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Vsalvis

Hey all,

This is my first post in a while. As for now i have a predicament.

It was about 11:00 a.m. this morning and i was on my computer browsing the internet. All of sudden it shuts of as if powering down to shutdown.

SO i take out the plug and reseat it. I try to turn it on, and nothing happens. The heatsink fan wants to work, but it will kind of power on, then immadietly power off.

Well my nightmare starts here. After trying to play with my computer i am no farther in figuring out what happened.
I take out my ram and they look still good. My sound card and video card are still good i think. My motherboard has the power light on it, I can tell because where the main power supply goes, their is a light on.

Any other steps can i follow to ensure that it is my power supply?
I am accquiring another one to do some test to see if it is my power supply. What steps do i take in the future to prevent this problem for happening?

One last thing, my computer had a temp of 52 c and my case about 29c. And i have a vantec coppermine which seems to do the job.

Thanks for all the answers.

-Vsalvis-

I had the same thing happen a few weeks ago. It turned out that
the fan froze up and it overheated and died. You can check it by stripping two ends of a piece of wire and putting one end into the green atx wire connector and the other into any black lead on the atx connector. Turn on the power supply if it comes on it is OK
if not it's trashed.

Try jumpering your PSU like this;

plug.gif

If it fires up, you'll at least know the PSU isn't the problem. If not, that should be your first suspect. This method works in most cases.

Back