• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Dual athlon XP, how many watts?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Lumet187

Registered
Hi, i'm planning on building a dual xp computer. I havn't been able to find something to guide me in the way of how much power things need. here are the specs i'm probably going to use.

asus A7M266-D
two thlon xp 1900+
512MB ram
100 GB harddrive

This is what ASUS says about the motherboard
"The minimum requirement for full-power loading is a 400 Watt ATX 12V power supply; minimum requirement for +5V/3.3V is 180 Watts; +12 Volts requires 15 Amps; 5VSB requires 1 Amp. Also Ensure that the ATX power supply can put out at least 10mA on the +5 Volt standby lead (+5vsb). You may experience difficuly powering ON the system if the power supply cannot support the load. For Wake-On-LAN support, your ATX power supply must supply at least 720mA for +5VSB."

http://www.asus.com.tw/mb/socketa/a7m266-d/overview.htm thats the link for the motherboard

Thanks for any help.

That means you probably want to go with 500... Just to be on the safe side of things. I would guess an antec truepower 550 should be enough for you. I deffiantly wouldnt skip out on the psu on the rig you are building. Go with the big names and at least 450 watts. 500 would probably be better though.

I'm running a True 480 with a K7d, 7 case fans, 3 drives, etc. and I haven't had a problem at all. Get a quality supply to be on the safe side.

Back