• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

MY LCD Temperature meter REVIEW.... 56ker beware

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Ct. Strangelove

The need for temperature monitoring is greatly increasing. Our water cooling systems are getting more complex with the addition of cooling chipsets and GPUs. Some of us take a swan dive off the deep end of a rock query, and cool hardrives and the computers power supply. Some of us nuts go sub-freezing with TECS. The whole purpose of going this far is heat contol. But what if you can't monitor key points in a system? Well you would not be able to improve your system. The worst fear amoung our breed is a critical failure, i.e pump and/or TEC psu failure. With a proper monitoring device in place damge from failure will be avoided. On with the show....

This is the FALCON - HED 243

DSC00681.JPG

DSC00685.JPG

DSC00689.JPG

DSC00693.JPG

The thermistor is siliconed with a "T". I have had no leaks with nearly a year of usage.

The product link...
http://www.trumeter.com/Products/falcon/hed241_242_243/main.htm

Features.....

The display runs on 1.5v. It is easy to get a single AA battery holder.
It has a backlight. Requires 5v
One second / ten second cycle. (refresh)
Comes with a sensor on the circuit board. I removed mine and attached to my PSU heat sink.
High / Low temp alarms. You can set this baby so if the temperature reaches over a set limit (you set the limit) a signal is generated from the unit. From this signal you can use a transistor and power a master relay, thus shuting down your whole computer system if CPU temperature reaches over a user set limit. It even has a sperate signal if the temperature goes below a set limit. I rigged my TEC system to turn on the computer when the coldplate reached 32F.
Has a clock feature. You can have it display your local time!

A great use is to have two per system.
One dedicated to the just the coldplate or WB.
The other on connected to a 6/8 selector rotery switch. Thus being able to monitor several locations.
I monitored...
Water temp after radiator (before CPU)
Water temp after CPU block
Water temp before radiator. (after other blocks)
System temperature
PSU heatsink
Ambient temperature

CONS....
Requires 1.5v ~ I am sure you could but a reguator on the 5v rail to give you 1.5v to avoid a battery
Needs connectors ~ the unit uses standerd connectors like the ones used to hook up your power/reset button power/HD LEDs and pc speaker.
Backlight view angle limited ~ Looking at the unit at an angle while the backlight is active is somtimes impossible.

The unit is about $25.00 and each extra thermistor is $5. To me the vaule of the unit is very good. I leave my TEC system running while on long trips without worry.

What do you all think? Do you use anything like the Falcon HED 243?

51.jpg

iam getting the lian li duel temp rack, which is similar to what you have, i was just wondering how to mount the thermister on the cpu, as iam worried ill crush it

I'm lazy...I still need to make my Temp Probe T...the thermister is just sitting there looking at me waiting to have leads soldered onto it.

enyo i am assuming you have a waterblock? if you can drill a small indention and use some artic silver then goop it to the side. of course CPU temp will be a bit higher than block temp, but it should fair.

Back