• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

monitor problem

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

OCn00b

Ok, I got home last night and when I sat down in front of my computer, the screen was blank even though I don't have anything set to turn off after so many minutes. At first I didn't really think that much of it, I thought maybe somehow I changed a setting and just forgot, but I moved my mouse, hit keys on the keyboard and turned the monitor off and back on but nothing worked. I ended up having to hit the reset button and when it restarted, Windows gave me that little popup saying that my systen had recovered from an error. I used the computer the rest of the night and never had a problem but when I got up this morning and went down to check it, the screen was blank again and I had to hit reset again and got the same recovered from an error message. Has anybody ever heard of anything like this and if so, is there a simple fix for it? Thanks guys.

Sounds like a Windows problem rather than a monitor problem. Either the system is locking after sitting idle, or it's giong into standby and locking when trying to come out of standby.

Double check your settings and make sure you don't have it set to go on standby or turn anything off and see if that helps.

If not then you'll want to start thinking about things that could cause the system to lock after sitting idle for a while...

Mike

Yea, certainly standby mode without a "wake" button would do that.....

Otherwise - check to see if perhaps you don't have ENergy Star Screen Saver enabled on a Non Energy Star Compliant MOnitor..... I've had that one happen to me before.

Good luck.

I've got it set for no standby and no screensaver. I'm totally at a loss for what it could be. My first thought was the standby was what screwed it up but i turned off standby and the ss as soon as I got the comp running.

Well, I've got the newest ATI drivers, maybe if this keeps up I'll look at going back to the 6200's. Thanks for that idea|3lackmagiK

Hey, that's what im here for... right? I know the pain behind ATI's drivers.... just that i dunno how they work sometimes......

HOW HARD IS IT TO MAKE A DRIVER!?!!??! If nVidia can do it, anyone can.

Back