• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

extreme testing

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Kingdom

Hi.

Lately ive started to run prime95, 3dmark 2001 and sisoft's burn in tool in background mode while testing stability, the thing is that i can run prime95 at 3.55ghz for about 5 hours stable, havent had it running longer than that, if i start the three programs up at the same time and run'em the computer will either reboot, quit 3dmark or make an error in prime95 within some 20-30 mins.

Am i overdoing it or am i right when i say the system should be able to run all three things to be 100% stable ?

At current speed 3.45ghz i have had all three programs running overnight without an error.

Mainly my question is why its stable during prime95 alot while it dies running several stressing programs ? to low voltage ?

its stable relax,isnt there an option in prime to use 100% of the cpu,i now there is with the sandra,i think you are overdoing it,if you can play games and do all the stuff you want without a reboot i think thats stable

You say Prime will run for hours by itself; is the same true if you're running 3dmark or Sandra individually? If so, try running both Prime and Sandra or Prime and 3dmark at once (rather than all 3).

It's possible you really are stressing the chip or your ram to it's limit. Raising the voltage slightly should help that.

That's a massive test going on there. I have stuck with individual tests (being Prime95, 3DMark and Memtest86) so far and I think I will stick to that. Provided each test is run thoroughly and long enough I think it's a good enough test for me.

The main reason for not running several programs at the same time like the OP did is that you then cannot be sure that the programs are actually able to operate next to each other reliably- that still depends on the programs' code as well as the OS's prowess.

So what I'd do is extend the individual software runs to a proper limit of 12 hours (i think that is the recommended P95 timeframe at least) and see what happens. If the suspected instability shows up, it's a clear hardware issue and you can take steps to remedy it. If it does not show up, I'd proclaim the system stable.

Back