• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

question about putting on a heatspreader...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ezeKieL987

ya i have a stick of crucial pc2100 that i am using and want to put a heatspreader on it...but there are the stickers on it that say "warranty void if removed" and i want it to keep the warranty incase i ever want to sell it or it dies on me..but do i have to peel them off so that i can stick the thermal take heatspreader on?

ezeKieL.

nope just leave the stickers on....but heatspreaders really dont do anything, I have never felt a stick of ram get more then warm. I used to run my ram at 3.1 volts with no heatspreader...and still never got warm.

If you do want to do it though...just put it on over the sticker, or peel the sticker off **carefully* and put it somewhere for safekeeping.

I honestly dont think heat spreaders are any more useful then for looks. If you do put one on tho, try to keep the sticker on.

Heat spreaders *might* give you an extra Mhz or two. Honestly, I think they are for show more that anything esle - RAM just does not get that hot.

And if you were running so much juice through the RAM that it was hot, the spreaders would not save. You would cook the modules eventually.

Back