• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Loss of sound caused by Cr*p PSU ?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

LoopyLee-C

Registered
I have a GA-8IHXP board with built on 5.1 creative sound. The PSU I have is a 300W and is running the below.

When I start to use the computer for music or games the sound cuts out at random and scares me half to death when it comes back on.

I have been told that is could be down to lack of power from PSU could this be the case ?

When I have a look at the PSU it shows

Idel
+5v = 5.020v
+12v = 12.100v
Bat = 3.130v
+5vsb = 4.920

Load
+5v = 5.050
+12v = 11.920
Bat = 3.130v
+5vsb = 4.920

System Spec.

1 x TI4200
1 x P4 2.4b
1 x GA-8IHXP
1 X 120gig Baracuda Hard drive
1 x 40x IDE Burner
1 x 16x Skuzzy Burner
1 x 16 Speed 5 CD inter changer (Nakamichi)
2 x Network Cards
1 x Skuzzy Card
4 x Case Fans
1 x Nion Case Light 12v
1 x Floppy drive

Any advise would be helpful.

Have you tried the latest drivers?, if you use win98 you're out of luck though, no new driver for 3~4years...
How long has this been happening?, How old is the rig?...

Your voltages seem to be okay...

How long are the cutouts? just a second, or for a long time?

Is your system overclocked at the moment? If so, try setting everything back to stock speeds and trying it out. If it works, you know where you went wrong (and what to replace next :D)

If not, try perhaps a different driver for the soundcard (IE perhaps rather than the one that came with the board, try one from creative.com or something like that.)

ImG

This is a newly built system. The CPU is running at 2.6 at min and I want to go higher. Will try the creative web site for drivers, Do you think oc is causing the problem ? If so why alow overclocking on the board if the other board componants dont suport it ?

I Will also try the stock settings

The PCI is set to Auto but this is not a pci card it is built on sound so would the PCI frequency actualy do anything to the sound ?

I have just looked in my bios and the

12v = 11.923

5vsb = 4.896

Are they low ?

I was thinking of just getting a new PCI card 5.1 Digital but this built in sound is ment to be that quality so that was 1 of the reasons for the board and not having to splash extra cash out.

I know you have a pci card but is there a big difference in onboard sound with this board and say for example a 5.1 Digital PCI card ?

May the onboard sound chip be faulty ?

The onboard sound still runs through the PCI bus I believe9same southbridge and onwards connection). This 'sound stuttering' is a well known fault with Soundblasters, changing to a PCI slot mounted one probably would'nt help, it's more likely an IRQ conflict or driver problem, what OS are you using?, WinXP & win2000 have driver updates available AFAIK...

Your PSU Volt outputs look OK to me...

but if he doesn't get this sound stuttering when he doesn't overclock then this problem is because the pci frequency is just too high
your psu voltages are fine

I have not changed the settings on anything other then the FSB for the CPU so why would this affect the PCI settings ?

I have got the board running at default on all other settings.

Other then this problem could you recomend a card that as 4.1 or 5.1 suport and is digital. I want to spend as little as possable.

:)

LoopyLee-C said:
I have not changed the settings on anything other then the FSB for the CPU so why would this affect the PCI settings ?

raising the FSB raises your PCI frequency as i've said because this motherboard cannot lock the PCI frequency.

Thanks for the help just got a cheap sound card and installed it. CPU running at 2.8 and sound is 100%.

Going to save for a couple of weeks and get a new sound card with digital output and a set of 5.1 digital speakers.

As I say thanks for the info as I did not know clocking the cpu increases the PCI speed.

Thanks Lee.:)

Back