• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Im baffled

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

TheFrag

Okay, whever I play games, my computer will all of a sudden reboot sometimes. The immidiate suspect was the PSU. Well, I was just playing CS and it happend. Actually, it always happens, anyways...... I am now thinking it has to do with heat. I cant get MBM5 to work or anything, so I cant really monitor them. Anyway, if I leave my computer for a long time, I will come back and I can see it has rebooted.
Is it possible it could be an overheating harddrive? Mine seems real hot to the touch and just now, after the reboot, it said a windows file was missing or corrupt.
I still think it is the PSU, but just wanted ot throw it out there.
Thnx.

What kind of PSU is it.

Does the problem happen more if the room temp is warmer. Opening the side of the case and putting a desk fan next to it could help show if it is a temp problem.

As for the PSU, your going to need something to monitor it. I don't use MBM5, so I can't help you there.

Also have you tried from scratch (stock) and just up everything a little bit at a time? It's a tuff problem to solve blind since both heat and PSU faliure are usually due to a raised Vcore. Looks like you better get the water cooling system up soon if its a heat problem. :)

Yes, i need that watercooling, but I am broke :/ time to sell old hardware :D

Anyway, it is a crappy Raidmax 350 watt. While room temperature doesnt seem to effect it as much, it seems to be affected by the amount of time on. IE--- if it has bene off all day, i takes longer to reboot.

I still think this can be either PSU or heat, although it kind ais sounding like heat. I really dont wanna waste money on a PSU and hav ei tnot do anything. O ya, these things caused me to go to stock speeds (yes, they do exist :p )

hmm.... i think maybe I should lapp my heatsink, lap th enorthbrdige, tidy up my cables and see what happens.

Im praying to god it isnt cooling, i cdont have th emoney for watercooling just yet (i need to buy me a new mobo for this xp2100 Tbred B :eek: )

I really think a deskfan will prove if its a heat problem or not.

I'm not very familiar with the power needs of an AMD. I would think a 350W would be enough but you never know. Did the PSU come with the system, or did you get it seperately?

it came with the system, but it is crap. I am thinking I am gonn ahave to fix it all up to see what it is. **sigh**

Im guessing its something to do with the psu, you have lots nice things and it might just not be able to power everything. You can check this stuff in the mobos bios, the cpu temp should be there too, I know its not direct die but better than nothing.
hmm after looking at your hd comment Im thinking it might also have something to do with the hard drive, try giving it a little air, also are you overclocked? that can also heart the hd. Last but not lease, your hard drive COULD be slowly showing signs of dieing, might try some diagnostic programs just in case;)

I would definately tidy things up, but I wouldn't lap everything yet, I would wait until after you try it with the case open.

If having your case open doesn't help, do what was suggested above and point the biggest fan you can find at it. if that doesn't help, get a new PSU and try that.

Can you post the load limits of each rail on your PSU please?

I would definately put some cooling on your hd. At least a little 40mm fan or an old 60mm fan. I have an 80mm blowing over my two RAIDed disks and it keeps em cool to the touch. Also, what kind of hd is it? My gf's D740X Maxtor 40 gig ran REALLY hot and cooked itself, but it WAS crammed in a little plastic notch that was *just* big enough to slide it in. Stupid Dell :rolleyes:. Anyway, yeah, tell us what model your hd is. <<-- disregard

I just read your sig. dumb me. hehe, you gots a fireball, which sounds pretty unfriendly, but I'm sure they didn't name it after what it feels like ;). I am not familiar with these drives, so someone who is should butt in and give us all some info.

Unplug some things and see if it still occurs, if it does.. then it's the psu.

So unplug the cd-rom, extra fans, etc. and see if it still crashes.

o ya, my case is always open :cool:

I have some intake fans infront, but I think I will move em up to the two other slots which are right near the HDD and see what happens. I will do that when I get a reboot when I go to play CS right now!

ok, well I got one fan going, apparently these fans werent plugged in and one of em got fudged up (they also came with the case) I have another one somwhere, I ll put it on sometime. Anyway, I think I am also gonna buy one of those HDD cooler thingys, those arent to expensive.

mmkay, it didnt stop. It must be the PSU. To the touch, the HDD was onlya slight warm when it crashed. Guess I am gonna have to blow 50 bucks on a Sparkle 350 watt

I had the exact same problem as you...random reboots and the such. When my system would crash, it would freqently say somthing about win32.sys pagefile is out of range or somthing like that. Anyways, I replaced my power supply from a 400w antec to a 530 trupower and haven't had any problems since then. It was getting to the point where I couldn't even install some of the software I need for a couple of my classes cause it would reboot in the middle. I feel your pain. Good luck w/ it.

my system isnt quite as power consuming as yours i hope lol.

OMG, i just played cs for liek 45 minutes w/o a crash! NEW WORLD RECORD!

Back