• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Anything you can do to ressurect a card?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Illah

Looks like my Ti200 died the other day... I don't know why, piece of crap. Anyways, it's a gainward one, the one that regularly gets 250/550+ OC's. Mine would only do like 240/525. Not bad, but not good by Gainward standards. So one day I rebuild my machine and the screen is artifacty, obvious mem problem. I didn't touch the mem at all!

After a day it simply goes away. No problems, I can OC, 3Dmark doesn't crash, I play NWN for hours and hours.

Well, the other day I notice it again, at first I thought it was something else. Within an hour it starts to really show, so I kill the PSU. Now it won't make it to windows - it posts with alot of artifacts and by the time windows loads the monitor shuts off.

I'm gonna RMA it, but I won't have time to send out till Monday. My girl is out of town, my plan was to be a nerd and play NWN all weekend (that game is like crack). Anything I can do to squeeze a few more drops out of the thing?

Thanks.

--Illah

Not with Gainward. You should hear the war stories. I sent them a card with a socket A heatsink epoxied on and a torn off RAM chip (from trying to remove epoxied heatsinks) superglued back on, and they replaced it.

Other people have sent vmodded cards and they've replaced that too. It's one reason I stick with Gainward, they may have lost their place as the premier vid card manufacturer but you can straigt up bust your card and they'll still replace it.

--Illah

They never know unless it's really messed with, like soddered on v-mods and epoxied stuff.

I don't doubt they'll RMA, but is there anything I can do in the meantime? My girl don't come in till Sunday and I need Neverwinter Nights nerd fun till then! I mean, I wouldn't wanna be stuck socializing and drinking...

Man that game did what I predicted: eat my life.

--Illah

well do you have any backup card or computers? use anything you have, even a geforce classic. If none, then buy a geforce2mx from whatever store offers best return policy, then return card 2 weeks later

Gainward is pretty good about RMA's. I just sent in my Ti4600 a week or two ago. When I called them, they just gave me an RMA number. No grilling, or waiting on hold forever, 48 questions, or proof of purchase, they just gave me an RMA number and told me to write up a short explanation of what was wrong and send it in with my name and address. It was probably the easiest RMA process I've ever done, and I've done RMA's with about 20 manufacturers and distributors.

Got the replacement yesterday. It is a brand-new card. No complaints. They sent it UPS Three Day Select.

Illah said:
I don't doubt they'll RMA, but is there anything I can do in the meantime?
You could take the time to edit your posts in this thread so it doesn't look like you're condoning theft. You break it, you bought it.

Gainward can say, "No." Mr. Morals. If they wanna send me a new card despite obvious damage caused by me that's on them.

As for a temp solution I went with the return-policy deal :)

eobard, you just love me don't you?

--Illah

If you didn't mod the card, then I don't see why it would be wrong to RMA it. Overclocking doesn't count, when you're talking about Gainward cards. They are sold under the understanding that they are overclocking cards.

Yeah, they actually vaguely warantee it seeing as many of their cards are sold overclocked (Golden Samples).

--Illah

Illah said:
Gainward can say, "No." Mr. Morals. If they wanna send me a new card despite obvious damage caused by me that's on them.
That's true enough. Without taking that into mind it sounded kind of devious. If you're not trying to hide the damage then I don't see a problem with it but if someone, anyone, tries to RMA something that they destroyed by hiding the damage, and they brag/boast about it on these forums then I have a problem with it because....

eobard, you just love me don't you?

....I love this place very much. And if it gets shut down because it looks like Skips condoning fraud then I wouldn't be very happy. I don't think you, or a lot of other people, would either. I didn't think this thread was really into dangerous territory, that's why I suggested you edit your posts instead of deleting the whole thing, but it did look like it was in the grey zone. Better safe than sorry.

lets see.. one busted card.. a company that would return it.. whats stopping at least trying.. oh right "morals" .. and I can go on about morals for a long time, Especially in the forums..

Back