• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

frost free upright freezer(am i nuts?)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

flapperhead

since the phase change cpu coolers only affect the cpu and are quite expensive.i can get a great deal on a small upright frost free freezer. my plan is to drop the whole case in the freezer and cool everything. that way i have my mem, northbridge,and mb included in the cold. has anyone done this? (im sure someone has) Is it effective. Should i be concerned with moisture building up? does it work? thnx flapperhead.......

hi there,

the idea is great in theory, but in real live not!, why?

first hard-drives don't like coldness and other parts of the pc, your pc will be dead very soon and also, where will all the heat of the pc go to?, it will heat up the fridge soon, I think you better search for it to find out the reality before is too late;)

It should work fine; your only enemies are heat load and condensation. If the freezer can handle the heat load then you should be fine (though you may need to adjust/take off the thermostat to get the best effect). Condensation will only come into play when you open up your freezer and let ambient air in which would be bad.

well if he doesnt open the frig then condensation I dont think will be a factor, he could even stick some baking soda in it to dry it out. The problem is he would have to rig up something so he doesnt need to open the frig at all. wireless keyboard and mouse would work but you need to make something for a on switch and speaker wires.

if you do deside to go along with this project, have a fan blowing at the condensor on the back.

i think condensation would be a factor because the parts themselves would give off heat....wouldn't that kinda create their own condensation?...im no expert so plz correct me if im wrong

there is only condensation if moister is in the air, now if you take the moister out with like baking soda or that clay type stuff then you shouldnt have to worry about condensation, you just cant open the door.

i was thinking of taking the door off using some thick insulating styrofoam, cutting out a place to expose the front. that way i can access the on off and drives.... however that will expose a cold front to the ambient air and maybe cause an intolerable amount of condensation... what do you guys think?

i dont think a wireless keyboard and mouse would work throught the fridge because of the insulation

how do you expect to plug things in etc?....i think it seems more hastle and worry than its worth....im doubting you well get that much better performance by cooling everything

im sure with the proper amount of researach and posting on OCing forums you could find out all these answers, the question is, is your time for moding this suposed freezer+cooling all components worth what it would cost to buy a prometia or vapochill.
personally i like building crap and 600$ is abit steep for only cooling a CPU so if it works, i might try it my self.
post if you find a way to make all this come together ^_^

easy just reroute the cables etc. thru a hole in the styrofoam and insulate around them... by the way i have a cold air ducting system i built for my present cpu and it really helps with overclocking my cpu and memory. the cpu stays around 20- 28 c and the chipset 8-14c. i use rambus so it gets really hot and the cold air keeps the modules cool.well anyway this freezer idea was just a thought. if i could get the cpu, chipset and memory to 0 or lower it would probably allow a great cpu and memory overclock....

Back