• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Will WC improve my chances of hitting 150fsb?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

bob63

Registered
I'll be setting up for WC soon, just waiting on a few more components. My main intention is to quiet my pc, but some mild OC would be nice. I have not OC'd since my celery 300A, the two AMD's I've used since then always ran stock. I currently have a P4 2.66 with a Intel stock HSF. I tried OCing it to day just to see what it would do with air cooling but I didn't have much luck. I set the FSB at 150, and the DDR mult at 2.66 to give me 400 on the mem (Corsair xms 3200). It booted into windows but crashed as soon as I tried to run 3dMark 2003. This was at default voltages. I then bumped the core up to 1.75v and the mem up to 2.8v, with the same results. I'm honestly a little disappointed, I would have thought a 150 fsb achievable even with stock cooling. Granted I didn't experiment with lower fsb's. I'm holding off until I go over to WC next week. My question is based on the minimal testing I did, will WCing my system give me a good shot at 150 fsb and 3.0 , or should I just set my hopes for a quiet 2.66. Maybe I'm doing something wrong, my celery 300a was a long time ago, but as I remember it all I needed to do was switch from 100 fsb to 133 fsb.

You can't always expect a decent overclock with stock cooling. Better cooling improves your chances of a better overclock, but does not guarntee anything.

You might want to try raising your FSB in smaller increments as well. I've found that 2 - 3 mhz at a time works well.

Back