• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Please help!! Need advice on CHEAP board..

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Axle

for either an XP1700-2100 or a Duron 1.3 (I still can't decide which- The Dury's $29 shipped, but the 1700=$49, 1800=$56, 1900=$64. Would I see a huge performence gap between the cheapy Dury & a 1900?)

CHEAP is defiently the word, but it has to be rock stable(DDR would be nice too). OCing isn't really nessiary- if at all it won't be big (this isn't for me). I'd love to keep it under $60.

Oh, also has to have the 4 mounting holes-this is going to be WCed.

Please please please any advice?? My head's hurting from looking for a good cheap board recently. Used/refurb is fine too, btw, as long as it works.

ECS K7S5A = 52.96 [ mwave.com ]

Friend has this motherboard for a year now and he is very happy with it, he has no problems at all with it, very stable and supports both DDR and SDRAM ram. Ofcourse my friend isnt overclocking.

That asus looks real nice.. I still have an old P2 board of theirs. But the ECS looks like a bigger badder board, I just don't know.

I'm having second thoughts on this, though, now I'm thinking of spending somewhere around $230 that I've scrounged up to get me a new system, and give away this old 1.2 T-brd & AK31. I don't know what to do, though, I've got 1024 of PC2100 DDR (4x256)-is new ram (like that crazy 3200 stuff) faster?

So what's the best I could do for 230? CPU & MB I mean?

The Soyo KT333 Dragon Lite is a good stable board(built one in my Dads comp) + it has DDR and a host of overclocking features.
And it can take up to the XP2600 chip.
Usualy less than $80

get 1700+ and the new nforce2 ECS mobo coming out soon.
Dont waste your money on last years mobos.

I think I've pretty much decided on an asus, but will take this over to the auus forum as to which to get (the A7N266-VM s or the A7N8X delux) Thanks y'all :)

well the deluxe isnt what i would call a "cheap" board :p
I myself was going to go with the asus as well, but i see that people are saying not only is the 8rda a better overclocker, but the only difference is perhaps a bunch of useless features that i wont use. sata?? pfffttt....

The deluxe, right? I know it's not budget, but I've got $230 to blow on a new mb, chip, and if nessiary, new ram.

$130 gone on the deluxe leaves $100 to get a chip & some ram. What do you think? A 1600 AGOIA OCed to death? Could an A7N8X get an unlocked 1600 up to 1.8, 1.85Gs?

And the ram I'm all confused about. I've got a gig on PC2100, would I notice it being REAL faster with some 3000 or 3200 (both around $40 for 256).

Back