• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Cooling question

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Thermodynamic

This is also an update to my other post about not being able to overclock. http://forum.oc-forums.com/vb/showthread.php?threadid=167905

With BIOS version 1016 for my Asus A7V333 and at 1.75 volts, I can now overclock at 13x166 (as a 2700+). (at 1.725 volts, the system locked up after playing Unreal Tournament 2003 for 15 minutes.)

New problem: I don't dare overclock any faster because, at full load, the processor gets up to 64 degrees C. (though when doing word processing or web browsing, the CPU cools down to 56 degrees C.)

I have a Swiftech MCXC370 fan, which is noteworthy as being a good heatsink unit. I also used a thin layer of Arctic Silver II thermal grease.

My Antec SX835II case also has two rear cooling fans blowing out and two front fans sucking air in. And I keep the case closed.

Is there anything else I can do to cool down the CPU without having to buy a bigger heatsink or go to water-cooling methods?

Or, in other words, is running at 64 degrees for any prolonged period of time dangerous?

Or is it also possible that the thermal sensor could be giving a higher-than-real reading?

Thanks!

Thermodynamic said:
Is there anything else I can do to cool down the CPU without having to buy a bigger heatsink or go to water-cooling methods?

Or, in other words, is running at 64 degrees for any prolonged period of time dangerous?

Or is it also possible that the thermal sensor could be giving a higher-than-real reading?

Thanks!

AMD® bins their chips according to:
• voltage vs. frequency vs. temp •

As yeilds increase and chips become more mature- frequency vs. temp becomes less of a variance among the entire finished wafer.
The 'B' version Athlon XP recently begun manufacturing & hit the market.
So, I'd venture to say that AMD® binning your chip as a 2100+ was rightly so. Since your venturing into the 2700+ frequency w/ your 2100+, your going to see higher temps than a AMD® rated 2700+ at that same stock frequency.
How much higher will vary among chips. Only when the chips become more mature & yeilds increase, will this become less of an issue. A few degrees could be still be shaved off the 64* without a new heatsink, but it's pretty safe to say that your current temps are accurate.

-PC

I don't dare overclock any faster because, at full load, the processor gets up to 64 degrees C.

It's really no wonder it is locking up at those temps. If you would invest in better cooling it would make life much easier.

Looks like you have a nice system. Protect it with better cooling, if mine hits 42c i start looking at whats wrong.

I'm definitely say you need to reseat the heatsink. There is noway i mean nOwAy the temp is that higher. With all my experience and all my concern to help you pls do what i said..

Now after you reseat it to get a "real" temp, if you still not happy with it(any thing higher than 55c at full load) then GET a Vantec Aeroflow VA4-C7040, its really cheap! AS you stated you dont want to spend more on cooling.

MameXP,

I recommend you back to Version 1015 bios.. I've tested Version 1016 and it lock up frequently. I dunno 1016 still beta version or bugs one which have not fixed. So, 1015 still good one to use.

Bout the 60C temp, did you read this from bios or Asus probe? Note: Asus probe have incorrect temp and 12v report.

Back