• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Curiosity is killing me here

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

The VTech

Captain Bawls
I notice a lot of people are buying or own a smaller tower with side mods or USB ports in the front as apposed to a full tower or at least a 12bay mid-tower. Is there something I am missing that you get out of a smaller tower than the room and mod ability of a bigger tower????

I ask as several of the towers I see people asking advice on or are getting etc, are smaller and cost as much or more than a good solid full or mid range tower that has more room etc.

Thanks to any who reply to kill my curiosity with this.

I am using a mini-cube P4 ddr and built in USB 2.0 and it only has a 10GB HDD. Reason is that it takes up no space on my desk and my wife thinks its cute but for me I put most of my stuff in USB 2.0 cases and have them off to the side (CDRW / 2 120GB HDDs) it looks cleaner and it keeps the wife happy
on the other hand I do have a dragon case w/ the side door and window but I am selling it now so I can buy its big brother and have even more room for water cooling as the dragon is a bit tight

Last edited:
The VTech said:
I notice a lot of people are buying or own a smaller tower with side mods or USB ports in the front as apposed to a full tower or at least a 12bay mid-tower. Is there something I am missing that you get out of a smaller tower than the room and mod ability of a bigger tower????

I ask as several of the towers I see people asking advice on or are getting etc, are smaller and cost as much or more than a good solid full or mid range tower that has more room etc.

Thanks to any who reply to kill my curiosity with this.

Well, it's mostly preferrence. Some people like them smaller, some people are building LAN rigs. Some people just like the design etc etc. Some of the smaller rigs are actually getting pretty generous in design and mod-ability while still fitting ATX. And for people who use ITX....uhhh, no, nevermind. :) weirdos.

I have ended up going from about 7 full towers to only 2. If you don't really need the space(for drives or cooling solutions), they end up taking up a lot of space, weigh a lot more, and kind of become impractical. I ended up switching systems to smaller cases.

the "mini-ITX" size mobos (17cm X 17cm) have some nice options I have and will build a few more as the have many options the a full ATX could only dream about don’t get me wrong I love them too but each has it's own special uses

The bigger the better, but I live in a tiny room, and my desk is only big enough to hold just a monitor and a case.

Where did you find these motherboards. All of the ones I see have their CPU's onboard (non-upgradable).

The amount of space inside a full tower is absurd and it's far easier to control airflow in a small case. Unless you have RAID or an ATA card you won't use more than 4 IDE devices, why have 6 external + 6 internal bays (like my SX1240 in the basement)? By the way yes that's 12 bays!

My current case (Codegen) has the front covered by 8 full bays (with 3 1/2" adapters). Mine are mostly open, creating huge intake vents. There is little extra space inside but I consider that an advantage in creating steady airflow with no stagnant areas(nor huge fans). I find that all I really need for IDE are a (partitioned) HDD and a CDRW.

i think the lian li pc60 is a very good sized case. its bigger than most mid towers but smaller than full towers.

gives lots of room for organizing your cables to acheive a nice and neat job with no cables restricting airflow :)

I like small cases because they dont weigh nearly as much and are not so bulky. I needed my full tower to have 2 rads built in but if I didnt want 2 rads I would of got a mid tower prolly aluminum case so its easy to take to the lans.

Back