• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Painted my XP L1 bridges, have ?s now...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

InThrees

First, the background:

AthlonXP 2000+ Palomino core
MSI KT3 Ultra2
512mb Samsung DDR333 (cas 2@166, 2.5 at higher recommended)

Before the painting, I was at 12.5x133 (or whatever I had fsb that day).

After the first painting, I don't think it worked right (but it may have, more on that in a sec) because I tried a lower multiplier and it wouldn't post, wouldn't even init VGA.

I yanked the chip and removed all paint, masked off the bridges again, applied TWO COATS of super glue to the pits, and let it dry for a good 30 minutes or longer this time.

Carefully masked off each bridge individually, applied the paint, and when I was done, it looked really good. No inter-bridge contact, everything looked exactly as it should.

I reassemble everything and lug the ANTEC server case off my bed and back under the table. Fire it up, and here are the results SO FAR. (haven't experimented more because I don't have the CMOS clear wired to a switch, and hopping under the table to do that is a pain in my hind end.)

First boot, left multiplier at default, set FSB to 133. System booted at 12.5x133 for 1.67ghz. So far so good, at least it still WORKS, right?

Second boot, lowered multiplier to 10.0, System booted at 10x133 for 1.33ghz. Aha! Woohoo, I have multiplier control!

Or so I thought. Third boot, lowered multiplier to 8.0, system wouldn't even post or init vga signal.

Is this normal? Do I have even more stuff to do? Did I paint incorrectly? Do I have to the '5 minute unlock / pin mod' for the L3 bridges?

I would really like to lower the multiplier even further to really crank up my FSB (or at least provide the most conducive settings for an FSB boost to the 190-200 range) - what do I need to do now?

Update

Small update here... I haven't attempted any new multipliers via bios yet, but I have got the system running stable at 10x180 for a reported 1805mhz, ram set to host clock instead of +33.

DX apps like Unreal2 and AVP2 are noticeably smoother, SiSoft Sandra is reporting speed increases across the board (ESPECIALLY in memory bandwidth and cache performance) and while I haven't done a full run of 3dMark2001SE yet, I was hitting greater than 200fps in the first few game demos, which I have never done before.

All in all, I'd say my night was mostly a success, other than the multiplier question I still have. (can't get 8.0 to work, what's up with that?)

partial unlock

Welcome to the forums!!!!

One or more of the bridges is not making a good electrical connection and that's why only some multiplyers work. Its possible some superglue covered over one of the contacts. Its best to scrape those "dots" with a pin before painting to get the pit filler off them. I use crayon instead of superglue because its visible (not clear) and easy to scrape. But all that really matters for you is getting 9.5x working. Give it a try and see if it works.

Also, I've noticed in cases where the x.5 multi's don't work, often the 1st L1 bridge is the one to blame.

Back