• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Can a CPU drop 20 degrees C in 10 seconds?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Thermodynamic

Hello again! I've been doing more testing on my 2100@2700 o/ced system (13x166). I can play UT2003 for an hour and not lock up.

But I've been using Truespace 3 to render a large model (takes up 300MB RAM).

Under truespace, the CPU heats up to 67 degrees and soon after the system hangs. I instantly hit RESET and go into the CMOS setup to look at the h/w monitor. The time it takes to get there is about 10~15 seconds.

The h/w monitor reads 45 degrees.

Can the CPU drop that much heat so quickly?

(I'm also testing my RAM modules individually to see if they are the cause of the lockup but they are not warm to the touch...)

Thanks!

Depends on the sensor, it is propably the on-die sensor, which reports the current temp of the CPU surface, in the old days the temp was taken using the onboard-external sensor which took its time time to show the exact CPU temps, and was never accurate. Today most motherboards support the on-die diode (and autoshut down if the CPU overheats) while others also are able to show the CPU temp via this diode. As I said which is very accurate and responds almost immidiatly to the core temp change.

In reality every CPU goes from idle temps to load temps in seconds if not less, but it takes time for the PCB/ceramin and the external sensor to update. with the internal diode this happens instantly. so this is why you see such temp differences

The Coolest,

this is off topic kinda BUT, thats funny how you got a frown face beside where you list your overclock in your rig. The truth is, thats an AWESOME overclock and you couldnt even begin to imagine how many KT133 owners would love to have that setup.

I do think you should try the multiplier hack and get a 20X + multiplier happening with your KT133. Maybe 112 X 20?

OC-Master

OC-Master said:
The Coolest,

this is off topic kinda BUT, thats funny how you got a frown face beside where you list your overclock in your rig. The truth is, thats an AWESOME overclock and you couldnt even begin to imagine how many KT133 owners would love to have that setup.

I do think you should try the multiplier hack and get a 20X + multiplier happening with your KT133. Maybe 112 X 20?

OC-Master

Well I guess you're right but this board won't do 133+Mhz FSB in any way, and when the x13 multi is enabled won't post when using the 1/4 divider. And my PSU kinda sucks too... I'm pretty much limited by it, always was.. :( I upped the voltage to 1.8 (max the board will give w/o closing any bridges) and put it to 2.1GHz, it failed prime in a second..
I mean I'm happy with the speed of the CPU, that was my goal basically, but this FSB and PSU are pretty much what I don't like about my setup

The Coolest said:

Well I guess you're right but this board won't do 133+Mhz FSB in any way, and when the x13 multi is enabled won't post when using the 1/4 divider. And my PSU kinda sucks too... I'm pretty much limited by it, always was.. :( I upped the voltage to 1.8 (max the board will give w/o closing any bridges) and put it to 2.1GHz, it failed prime in a second..
I mean I'm happy with the speed of the CPU, that was my goal basically, but this FSB and PSU are pretty much what I don't like about my setup

Hmm, well a simple KT7 voltage mod will bring your maximum voltage to 2.1V and there is places around that are selling 350W Enermax PSU for $89 :) Canadian. So thats like $59 if you live in US which is pretty good for a brand name 350w PSU.

OC-Master

Yeah.... I just wish I was in the US ;). Living in Israel, an Antec 430W is going for like $110US right here which is way over my budget. I will see what I can pull out of this one, and when I'm ready to really upgrade I will get a good PSU.

Coolest what sort or ram u using? pc100? It sounds like your ram could be at fault not your mobo. Otherwise if your using at least pc133 ram u could be run at 133fsb no problem.

Nope it is actually the board I could easily run at 146MHz FSB at CAS2 with this RAM. This board on the other hand could never run faster than 134-135MHz FSB, and right now (this is not only happening with my board) its not working at 1/4 divider

Your cpu core temperature will rise and fall very fast. If you can monitor your cpu core temperature in windows and start up prime, within 2 seconds your core temp will hit its approximate max. 2 seconds after shutting off prime, the temp will drop back to your normal idle temp nearly. Your CPU surface temperature however isnt nearly as fast switching.

Back