• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

vaxp and 9700 pro

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Ram96

Registered
Hello. Anyone here running an xp2600 and 9700pro on the vaxp?
I am unable to disable spread spectrum in the bios so I can overclock the fsb. As soon as I disable spread spectrum and do anything graphically intense such as games or benchmarks, I bluescreen then reboot.
I'm running the f9bios on a rev.1.1 board.
I had no problems disabling spread spectrum and running my fsb @ 175 when using the ti4600. This really has be bummed and stumped.

Any help/suggestions?

Thanks.

I should add I'm using 1-512 stick of kingston pc2700 and an enermax 435 watt psu. The 2600 is the 333 fsb chip.

You could try to up the AGP voltage a tad to see if it helps. And the 9700s are really picky about the AGP speed. If the first solution doesn't work. Go to start>run>type in Smartgart> and disable fastwrites.

Tried the voltage thing already.
Thing is, I'm not even getting to the overclocking. It crashes as soon as I disable spread spectrum without even upping the fsb yet.
Very strange.
I'll try disabling fastwrites. Can't remember if I tried that yet or not. It's been a month since I've messed with it. Been hoping to find a solution somewhere online.

No go. Got an error report that the dispaly drivers caused the instability.

Any more ideas? I'd be happy to try them. I'm at a loss here. spent hours last night trying everything I can think of.
Lockedrebooted my rig more than I can count.

Go to www.giga-gbyte.com

I had a few questions about my 7vaxp and i got a few answers. I recomend that you go there first. Actualy i think i remember something about a blue screen with a video card. Not sure but search the site thoroughly.

Btw they have lots of cool interesting tools for you to look at and use.

Yeah, thanks for the link. I don't think this is just a vaxp problem from what I'm reading on the via forums.
Seems alot of people are having problems with agp 8x on kt400 boards. I guess I'm one of the lucky ones in that it works great as long as I don't disable spread spectrum. I'm just unable to overclock my fsb then.
Otherwise I have absolutely no problems.
I'm gonna try the f11 bios and go agp 4x. If my problems disappear then I know it's agp 8x and this chipset/drivers.
I hope they get this sorted soon. I bought this board for 8x and for overclocking.

So did you have any luck with the F11 Bios?

I'm not sure what the problem is because I have just about the same setup, but I don't have any problems. Although I have figured out the 333 fsb chips just don't overclock well at all, or the Gigabyte board's aren't good for OC'ing. Not sure which is more correct....probably a little of both actually.

I'm currently running my 2700+ at 13.5 * 171 = 2.308 Ghz.
I tried doing 12 * 200 (which I would have been happy with), but it wouldn't boot...may need to add more voltage, but jeez, I can't find enough people who actually have this CPU so I can get an idea of what to expect.

I have a 2600+ 333fsb and gig 7 vax so we are talking almost identical here.....I'll let you know how I get on but so far...fully stable and bootable with 180fsb. Stable but not bootable with 184 fsb

Well when I had a ti4600 in I could overclock no problem. Only since going to the 9700 pro did I have a problem. So it's not the chip or board I don't think. I think it's a problem with that chipset and the 9700.
It's fine til I do anything graphically intense.
Hmmm, I see mattsplace is overclocking with the 9700 pro on the vaxp ultra. I can't even disable spread spectrum and do any gaming or benchmarks. What the hell.

Last edited:
Hmmm...I upped the voltage to 1.788, and was able to 3Dmark at 13.5 x 175 = 2.36 Ghz..
I then tried 13.5 x 180 = 2.43 Ghz, but it locked up.
I think I may need to back the multi back down to achieve what I would like to see..
11.5 x 195 = 2.24 Ghz would be fine with me
12.0 x 195 = 2.34 Ghz would be even better

What exactly is spread spectrum and why can't I disable it? I don't even get to overclocking. I lockup/reboot just disabling spread spectrum for God sakes. It's just stupid.

I haven't tried the f11 bios yet?

Last edited:
I was just successful doing 13.5 x 175, so I'm pretty confident I could lower the multi and run the fsb higher. I used 1.85 for voltage. Looks like these new Athlons like higher voltage than the older t-breds..

I'm concerned about the PCI and AGP frequency getting too high though. Any idea what values are considered safe?
I'm afraid the lack of a PCI lock will keep me from doing 200 fsb, cuz I know it won't be my memory.

I'll experiment more tomorrow...

/\\/3|2o said:
omfg ben cole.... how the hell did you get 180fsb? i cant even get higher than 144....

Well, my default fsb is 166 so it isn't that much of an increase.

The spread spectrum lark is to vary the clock timing so that the system produces less radio frequency interference. It really is useless unless you have radio sensitive equipment very close by.

Then I simply do not understand why I reboot when doing anything graphically intensive when disabling spread spectrum. That's just stupid. lol
I'm not even overclocking yet!

Strange, but I didnt know what it was so I look about for it. It should have no impact on anything really, it just produce s less interference!!!

Back