• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

cd-rom firmware

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

kevmarks

ok, I got an Artec (not to be confused with Antec) 50x cd-rom a few years ago for $30). This drive is pretty fast and works fine in windows 98. However, win2k and nt4 refuse to even see the drive. Linux does not like it either. I have looked for a firmware upgarde but I can't find one. It there a standard cd-rom firmware that I could flash this drive with?

I am pretty sure it's a firmware problem, I have tried switching DMA on and off etc in linux and XP. Can anybody help me bring this old drive back to life?

It could be just the fact that Windows 2k and the others don't like it, maybe they are not compaitable with it.

PS...m8 u can get a 54x now for like $30 or less, a lite-on CD-RW 48x is like $50 and Cd-roms are a hell of alot cheaper

I have never upgraded firware, but I am guessing it is like flashing your BIOS? Anyway, what are the reasons to upgrade your firmware for you cd-rw/dvd drives?. I sometimes do have some trouble with my drives when they read CD's with SecureROM or other anti-copy software. One last question, my CD-RW drives sometimes gets really loud as it spins, 48x cdrw btw, not sure of read speed, but I bet its in the 50's., would upgrading this firware quiet my drive down any?

Thanks,
DragonSlayer

Flashing drive firmware can do a number of things. It can overclock drives (i.e. taking a 40x24x48 Lite-on to a 48x24x48), it can reduce noise by introducing new anti-cavitating features, it can aid in reading various types of discs and whatnot, too.

It's a little bit risky, however.

Back