• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

8rda questions

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

deathstar13

FSB FRIEK
ok i did some more testing today as i still cant get to radio shack thanks to snow.anyhow i can only get 190fsb max with NO vdd mod.but mosfets are ram sinked and large hs/fan on nb.

first to test my ram xms3500: i built a second rig with parts i have laying around,1800A tbred on an 8k3a+.
wouldnt post past 180fsb.same as my samsung did so doesnt mean my ram is bad imo.

then i read the sticky here again and did some of americanas suggestions.i ran the 3500 at 80% and then jacked the fsb upto 206.booted and ran fine.the vdimm was 2.5v 2.0-2-2-5 and mem was at 166mhz.

i think i was able to run all the 210+fsb with the mem@80%

this ram will also run 190fsb 2.0-2-2-5 @2.9v but not one fsb over that.but why the cpu will run 210fsb but not synch?

hopefully you say its just the vdd mod needs done is all.i honestly think the ram is fine,heck anything run those settings at 190fsb will do 210fsb easy,id hope anyhow.also i know i can rma it back to corsair if need be so im not sweating it.

could it be an issue of xms not liking the 8rda? i can try my samsung in it as i only tryed that once when i first got mobo.still didnt know my settings and tweaks well tho.

opinions? the vdd mod the culprit? the ram/mobo issue?the ram bad?

i know you might just be guessing also but i dont know this ram or mobo well to come to a good conclusion.

yes gremlin all tests in fact were done with low multi high fsb.
for referance with an a7v333 i was prolly had the highest fsb of kt333 owners did 212 with 2700 sammy ctl.i tweak hours on end just for 1fsb.

anyhow this is a new day and a new game.i dont know this mobo nor do i know the ram.

i saw ED mentioning 6:5 ratio being run on the intel 200fsb chips.
so would run cpu-240:200-mem if you ask me its just a waist as with a NF2 mobo nothing is oced but the cpu on a fsb set 6:5 and a cpu with 240 or 200 fsb will perform the same as long as mhz match.
thats why im not runnning cpu-210:177-mem now.i do better 190fsb synch 2.0-2-2-5.

guys i really need some ideas here on the above questions.i have serous snow here again today.most roads are/were closed so no radio shack again.

i did however tear apart an old set of pc speakers and i can use the volume pot as the resister i think.did 0-ohms upto like 10k ohms but i have no solder.i have jb weld tho. im just getting real impatient here but i also dont want crap results.i dont think ill try that method yet.might try stick pins under the legs tho.

the memory bad in your opinion?since i can run 80% on the mem ratio 210:177 ?but not 200fsb synch?i dont know the board well enough to say the memory is bunk or its the vdd not allowing it to ruun synch.

Deathstar what is the stepping on that northbridge? Once you do the vdd mod I'm sure you will see a higher fsb sync. I know for a fact that ram can run at 218 MHz sync, I had it in my motherboard for a quick test. Have you tried raising the vdimm up to 2.77v or even 2.63v?

its an A3 NB .ive put a amd oem hs/fan as3'd on the NB and ran sinks on the mosfets. runs damn strong even at 2.15v.

i honestly trust you tested this stick slater,pls dont take it that im saying it was bad,im not.as we all know every mobo/ram combo doesnt perform the same way.and im thinking they might just not like each other is all.

could be just the vdd not haveing enough volts wihc i highly suspect.
yeh ive tried every voltage option including 2.9v
im doing 190fsb 2.0-2-2-5 synch and imo any ram that can do that can run 218fsb also as you stated.

i guess im saying im asking some opinions as i dont know either xms ram nor the 8rda and how they both react.im used to my old a7v333 and samsung 2700 ctl

think i can slide stick pins under the legs for a day or so and fudge the mod with this volume pot? i have a multu meter also to test but is still scarey doing it half-assed with crap for parts.

I wouldn't do what you are talking about myself, but it's your board.
When you took off the stock hs and put the new one on, did you check the Artic Silver imprint on the heat sink to make sure it was mating well? I have 2 of these boards, and they were both lower in the center of the NB the 1st 1 just balled up a little ASE in the center and it was fine, the 2nd one I had to lap the nb a bit, and also sanded down the portions of the hs that touch the center of the nb to get great contact, in doing so I had to check and redo the (nb/hs) the mating 3 or 4 times to verify it b4 I was happy with the mating.
You know if it is not making great contact it could be worse than the tim/hs that was stock( as it will be running hotter), as the tim was in the center of the NB which actually helped it mate well( it's a rather thick tim they use).

BTW I run XMS3500c2 here (2x256) and have had 2 boards do well over 215 stock, the 1st board did MUCH better than the 2nd .....WITH THE SAME 2 STICKS.

EDIT: Actually the first did 235 stock, the 2nd did over 215, but didn't test it alot to figure out it's max, as I wasn't satisfied and did the vdd almost immediately

Last edited:
ty for the info. i did look at the imprint it didnt look too bad.not bad enough justifing me doing my first lap job on a NB.would most likley make it worse if i did it.

i have mbm5 reading the sensors 2 sensors.one is 28c winbond3 the other is 17c winbond1 . which sensor is the NB listed as?and my cpu is winbond2 i know.

im looking at the test setup now for the pot config i have to use.see just how sane it will look on the multimeter first.

I don't know if any sensors read the nb/sb temps.......

I don't THINK they do, but I could be wrong.

Back