• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

need 2x256mb sticks for 8RDA+ for no more than $100 shipped

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

No, I showered
Urk! I just ordered two sticks of these Crucial PC2700 sticks that I'm now getting are total pieces of junk. It was the only memory I could afford short of taking the crapshoot and ordering whatever I could find cheap off pricewatch. I've got the 8RDA+ on the way, then realized that my PC133 ain't gonna cut it with this new board. Should I say screw it and bite the bullet? Or should I cancel/return the Crucial and buy something else? I can't afford to spend any more than I have, so it will have to be no more than $100 w/3rd day or better shipping for 2 256mb sticks. Any suggestions?

I'm not exactly sure what your first sentence is trying to say.
If you have not yet tried the RAM I think you should. Crucial isn't the best but it is better than a lot of other stuff.

I have some Crucial SDRAM rated at 133 that I run at 155 without any problem.

Well, I bought it because I understood that Crucial was great stuff and I'd heard good things about the PC2100. However, it looks like their PC2700 is a different story. A lot of people are saying that it won't run at agressive timings most of the time and doesn't overclock worth a darn. And that you have to feed it lots of volts to get anything extra from it.

That's just it. If I had gotten those, I couldn't have gotten but one. I needed two sticks. I finally ended up getting two sticks of original Sammy pc2700 from Newegg for $112 with 2nd day shipping and rush processing. A bit more than I'd really wanted to spend, but it's better quality RAM, so I suppose it will be okay.

plus sd ram doesnt even work in nforce2 mobos

Yes, I realize that it doesn't. That's why I purchased the Crucial (and then the Sammy) RAM. The Crucial will be here tomorrow. I need to get it, print out the return label, then ship it back to them so I can get my $$$ back. I'm going to need it, I do believe.

Cool it buddy - there is no way that the crucial PC2700 is junk. Definitely not for what you will be paying. I'd try it, and if it works you win. If it does not work to your satifaction you can always return it then and order something better probably for more money too.

Yo

Would you guys get 2 sticks of Crucial 256 DDR pc-2700 ram or 1 stick of Corsair XMS 256 pc-3200pc .

Price is almost the same, corsair costs 1 dollar more but 512 of 2700 or 256 of 3200?

Oh this will be for a Epox 8rda+ with a 1700+ AMDxp

I've already ordered the replacement from Newegg and have the return set up with Crucial. The Sammy PC2700 was actually a couple of $ per stick cheaper, until I factor in shipping. As for the Crucial not running at aggressive timings and overclocking well, there are several threads here that say that that is indeed the case.

http://forum.oc-forums.com/vb/showthread.php?threadid=168356

http://forum.oc-forums.com/vb/showthread.php?threadid=155123

http://forum.oc-forums.com/vb/showthread.php?threadid=116404&

I'm sure there are quite a few others, but that gives the idea.

And SK, if you're wanting to o/c or use more aggressive memory timings, I would actually go over to Newegg and buy the Samsung original PC2700. With shipping it should come out to about the same price. Even if you get the DTL instead of the CTL, it should still do better than the Crucial appears to.

Samsung $48 ea shipped

Crucial $48 ea shipped

I would go with the two 256 MB sticks over the single 512 MB as it will give you better memory bandwidth. Even running at stock speeds, PC3200 = 3.2GB/sec, dual PC2700 = 5.4GB/sec. Granted, the Athlon won't be able to use all that without a 666 MHz FSB, but you get the idea. Plus I hear that the NForce 2 isn't very optimized for only one stick of RAM, so even if the bandwidth was the same, the dual should perform better.

oh kool. Thank you for the information.

Im doing all the research now on my new computer parts. Even though im going to buy my new computer parts in June I still want to be prepared heheheh.

Thank you.

i just purchased 2 x 256mb sticks of kingston hyper x ddr pc3000 for 98 dollars its 49 each at fry's ugh the service sucks but well good price i dont know how well kingston hyper x match up against corsair though ....

Back