• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

The goop inside a psu?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

skinart

Hey all, you know that clear goopy stuff they use at the bottom of those cylinder looking things in psu's, what is that stuff and could this be used to insulate the motherbaord? and if it could insulate would it affect anything like say heat from escaping or somthing?

Thanx in adavance

Chad

I was told by a TV tech that it's hot glue.

I have a cheap A1 Electronics 300W PSU where a blob of hot glue was used to support the middle of the circuit board and keep it from flexing.

I believe you are reffering to the compasitors, and that goopy stuff is there to keep you from frying yourself if ya happen to accidently touch it.
Like larry said its non conductive hot glue.

I think it's put on the big capacitors to keep them from working loose if the PSU is dropped, but goop is used on other things to prevent them from touching and frying.

It seems that the better the power supply, the more goo it usually has in it.

Hey sorry didn't see the rest of your question there.
I imagine it could be used, and it would retain a little heat. The motherboars doesnt really get hot enough except in certain places like the NB to worry about heat.
Most people just use silicone or something.

You could check with the boys next door in the extreme cooling forum.

Back