• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Core and memory o/c...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Melhisedek

Hi guys I have Radeon 9500 modded to 9700 and I have a question or two about o/c this baby.

Thing is I can only get as high as 303 MHz for memory :(
But the core is tottaly different... There I can go as high as 371 ( never tried higher but will ).

My question is which add to overall performance more ? Core or the mem ? How do they work acctually... Will o/c on core give me better performance when using AA and AF ??? I know this is a quite some nr of questions but belive me I got more :) Right now I'm trying to figure out how to hold waterblock on the GPU ( everything selfmade [ except for GPU :) ] )

Is there a site which explain or show some results when o/c just core and/or just mem and in the end booth?

Any help would be appreciated !
Thanks in advance !

Overclocking both will give the best results. As u overclock the core, it needs more bandwidth to feed it. If u just overclock the memoty, u flood the core with bandwidth that doesnt get used. So overclocking just one will yeild (in most cases) minimal benfits. Its really a "hand in hand" kinda thing

Hmmmm that clears things up a bit ! But is there a formula so I don't need to o/c gpu or mem too much. ( Too much stress on components for nothing )

BTW no offense but I like your new avater better thatn the old one Evnas ( couldn't help but think that you were girl in the beggining :) )

Lol...yea, me in my drunken stupor slender ;)

As for a formula, it will just have to be a trial and error kinda thing. When u start to notice minimal gains from more overclocking is when u've pretty much reached the end of the benefits

NOthing without the thrusty "trial and error" ? :)
Well is there any site that shows any kind of scaling or something when o/c only core and/or mem ???
/me wishes I would have more free time to be able to tweak and play with my PC

There arent any guides like that that i know of. Overclocking the memory is the best thing though for the 9500 Pro. The R300 core was designed for a 256bit bus (for the 9700/Pro), and thus can already take massive amount of bandwidth, and is really starved by the 128bit bus of the 9500 cards.

Back