• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Let There Be Light...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

UnWishedLegacy

Or "can you press my buttons?"

Guess what... I'm building my own case (or will do when all my bits get here)- and it would look pretty cool if there was a way to power the damn thing, What parts would I need to aquire if I was making my own Power/HDD Active/Power/Reset buttons? I have the wires, the button (Can't be bothered with a Reset- a Power will do fine) and LED's are being chosen but I don't really want to solder the wires directly to the Mobo.

I've seen a few American DotCom's sell them in packs of 5 but I don't need a bag of 5power buttons and the thought of paying twice the shipping from there to the UK for a few bits of wire isn't very appealing.

I know I needed a Momentary switch- and I think I've got the perfect one for my proto-case, but how can I connect the buttons and LED's to the motherboard? unless I can get my hands on a demolished case and perform an cable-ectomy, my only option is to ghetto my own... any ideas on how I can do this- or even better willing to post me a couple in an envelope for little to no profitable gain (Unless your from the UK- in which case you might get a couple of quid and a pack of crisps and one of those new Red Noses for your trouble).

Last edited:
well if you take a look at another case you can pretty much copy hwo it is done there w/o much trouble, solder the LEDs onto a pair of wires (one pair per LED obviously) then look for some small plugs (like the ones used on mobos...heh) and use that...I suppose you could just strip the end of the wire and wrap the apporpriate wires around the specific terminals an dmaybe add a dab of hot glue but thats going rather ghetto :D | Other than that I think Im out of ideas.

*edit* Oh ya almost forgot another source if you happen to have a module for front USB/1934/audio they usualy have a sufficient amount of the wires and connectors.. so if you scrap one from an old case or have them from something that doesnt work those will do as well.

yeah- The only thing's I'm looking for is those little plugs, unless I want the cable and mucho- shipping... I can't seem to find them. I've havn't got any spare parts lying around (first DIY job apart from minor mods).

Looks like I'm off skip raiding then :rolleyes:

Is_907 said:
you could always use a PSU that has a switch on the back... just a thought =)

the switch will onyl turn on the PSU if 1) its an AT PSU, which is useless in this case or 2) if you jmper the right pins on the ATX connector, but since youa re plugging it into a mobo, this is also not feasbile. so your left with either the ghetto mod or canibalism. Try going to your local new/used computer store and see if you can get an old machine from them for a few bucks, strip the parts you need from that

Back