• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Is My Power Supply Strong Enough...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Nimps

I have a 200watt power supply and I was wondering if it would be enough for a Duron 700 on a KT7A, with a Radeon 7200. Also there's a burner and two hard drives and a couple of case fans.

It's a Dell power supply. I'm assuming that's pretty good? :rolleyes:

Dell is the Britney Spears of PSUs.
I am running the following on a stock Dell 250w(the Britney Spears of PSUs):
P4 2.4GHz
640MB DDR SDRAM
GeForce 4 MX 420
2x 7200RPM 60GB Western Digital HDs
PCTV Pro
48x24x48x CD-RW
50x CD-ROM
System is stable even with both CD drives going, distributed.net running(I crack RC5-72 for OCAU), and HDTV open(nothing overclocked).
Voltages(measured with a radioshack DMM):
12v: 12.06
5v: 4.99
3.3v: 3.30
BTW, I reverse engineered an old dell supply from a p133.
That dell supply used a LITEON power transformer(at first, I thought they only made CD-ROM drives).
There is only one switching transistor(well, only one big primary transistor, as there is a smaller transistor in the 5VFP supply, and several big transistors on the secondary side), but it is a high-power IGBT boobie(20A, 900v) in a TO-3 case.
The primary caps are 680uF each, for a total of 1360uF(most PC power supplies have only 2 470uF, or 940uF total)!

Last edited:
I wish my power supply could turn into Brittany Spears. Maybe I should get a Dell.

Hmmm.. this and the sticky post were incredibly helpful.

I'm putting together the rig in my sig, with standard additional components (DVD, CDRW, 1 HD).. almost bought a new PS, but then looked at the specs on my PS.. Antec SL300s with 220w on the 5+3.3 rails.

Thanks for explaining out the Britney Spears comment, otherwise I would've considered the Dell P/S was nice looking, but trashy.

Back