• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How can I run an RCA video cable to 2 things w/o a loss in quality?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Krusty

Insane Overclocking Clown
So we've got this big, beautiful projector now to make a big screen tv on our wall. Since it isn't exactly a vivid picture (especially during the day), our regular television will still be put to a lot of use. I've got a vcr (with cable tv), a dvd player, a computer, and a cd player hooked to a pro-logic reciever. The speakers are hooked up and run beautifully, but I need 2 identical video signals from the one composite video output. I hooked them both up to an RCA splitter, but I noticed the image got much darker and a bit redder when a second video reciever was attached.

How can I get 2 decent quality video signals from one output?

I think what u want is an a/b type switch which u should b able 2 get fairly cheap at a radio shack or local electronics shop..the only problem with this is you will only be able 2 watch 1 or the other (and u have 2 get up off the couch 2 change it :))

The other thing you can get is a video splitter. It's basically an amplifier that will let you output the same signal to several devices with a minimal loss of quality.

The other thing you can get is a video splitter. It's basically an amplifier that will let you output the same signal to several devices with a minimal loss of quality.

I was thinking I would have to do that. My roommate already did a quick google search for schematics for making an amplifier ourselves. We really don't want to have to spend much money on this since we are poor college students.

Anyone have an idea about what a 2 way video signal amplifier would cost me? A quick search yielded $60-$200, which is all too much.

just buy a rca splitter from an nicer audio store. like 10-15 bucks your out the door. make sure its got gold contacts. this will make the impact on the image minimal.

Maxvla said:
just buy a rca splitter from an nicer audio store. like 10-15 bucks your out the door. make sure its got gold contacts. this will make the impact on the image minimal.

I already have a couple of good rockford fosgate shielded RCA splitters leftover from my car audio system. They don't work. There is still a significant amount of signal loss because the signal is being sent to 2 places.. The images on the screen are much darker than when there is only one place the signal is sent to.

EDIT: besides, I made my own rca cable out of speaker cable to run to the tv. The signal is still fine with the home made cable. It's not signal degradation from line quality that I am having problems with.

...yeah....$40 is a bit much for gaining a little quality. Perhaps I'll try making one myself after the quarter is over.

Keep your cable run as short as possible and use good quality shielded cable with minimal connectors/adapters. The cheapest method would be to use 75ohm coax cable wire with F type to RCA adapters on the ends. A standard cable splitter would work just fine.

Good luck. Let me know how it turns out. I was looking for plans for a PWM LED controller, but when I saw those, I immediately thought of this thread. Still haven't found any plans that seem like they would work well for me. :-/

Back