• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Computer Related Career

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Zuck Gou :)

Any comments on what you think would be the best area of just about any IT career job? I'm pretty well versed in just about everything from programming to networking, but I can't decide on which field I should pursue.

Any suggestions on maybe job trends or anything are more than welcome.

Thanks!

that is totally up to you, only do something you enjoy. The entire computer industry is struggling right now so it might be slow starting out.

i found any sort of programming to be repetitive and boring, right now im looking into Computer Engineering, but I dont have a good idea what that entails. I probably wont decide until im forced to in college =D

Genocide said:
that is totally up to you, only do something you enjoy. The entire computer industry is struggling right now so it might be slow starting out.

i found any sort of programming to be repetitive and boring, right now im looking into Computer Engineering, but I dont have a good idea what that entails. I probably wont decide until im forced to in college =D

I think along the same terms (programming=teeth pulled), BUT that's where all the 'new' IT jobs are.

Networking is full of over-qualified and over-certified techs begging for food right now, so networking (as fun and interesting as it is) will not pay (unless you're lucky enough to know someone).

I work for a very large financial institution's help desk. On one hand, can't stand it, but the pay here (not at all help desks) is good and full benefits, not to mention ONLY 40 hours/week (no overtime or pagers, etc... punch in and punch out and leave work at work).

I like being able to afford things and doing what I like in my free time without work messing plans up.

work for yourself. go around to small shops and see if they have computers and how they deal with them. by small shops i mean places that generally have less then 5 computers and don't have a fulltime IT.you can make your own hours and wages. you can get alot of fringe benefits this way also. its not to hard to make a couple hundred bucks a day doing this if you have enough clients.

I maintain a small network for an auto shop here and have thought about expanding to others but just haven't yet. I undercharge this customer but he hooks me up on repairs when my truck breaks. he saved me well over $2000 all because I don't charge what he expects to be charged.

the nicest thing about it is the atmosphere. you don't have to work for anyone you don't want to.

Last edited:
Back