• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

terrable voltage rails

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

tragic_monkey

ive got a Q-Tec 450Watt PSU

my rails:

+3.3v at 2.85v
+5.00v at 4.8v
+12.00v at 12.34v
-12.00v at 12.19v
-5.00v at 5.19v

my voltages are set to:

vcore - 1.9v (MBM reads 1.89v)
vdimm - 2.9v

could this be what is limiting my overclock see sig, im almost certain my CPU has got more in it. If it is limiting my overclock how can this be solved do i have to by an expensive PSU or could i get another cheap one and go dual (i was reading up on that and it seems that is only necassary when the +12.00v is low and thats my only rail that is fine)

Well, u gotta use like a Voltmeter or something, the mobo isnt realyl accurate. I also heard that a way to better them is to shorten the cables, I.e.-- cutting and soldering so they end up smaller.

ok, i'll proabably try using a multimeter tomorrow

btw, i did set all my clocks and voltages to defaut and the +5.00v rail went over 4.9v

but the 3.3v rail went down to 2.2v, but now im thinking i didnt read it properly and it went upto 3.2v lol

also all the voltages in the first post are under full load

yea i know that, but should i spend say £50 on a new high quality PSU of about 350W or buy another cheap PSU and go dual will it give me the same results if so id much rather go dual as i dont really like tjhe idea of buying a £50 PSU so i can get more out of a £45 chip

OK i think i will be buying a nice new PSU however most good quality PSU's are very expensive when you go above 300watts so i think if i can put a new 300watt in relay with my old 450waat Q-Tec and use the 300Watt to plug into the motherboard only, and the 450wat to power all my 12.00v rail devices which i think are CD drives, floppies, hdds fans and stuff right??

so i think what i am looking for is a powersupply of around 300w which gives a lot of current to the +5.00v rail and the +3.3v rail. Has anybody got any recommendations

Last edited:
well i just tested my voltages and MBM is way off as is my BIOS, the reading of the 5.00v rail is 4.99v at the molex connector and 4.89v at the MOFSET so i will do the v5 mod in the sticky. As for the 3.3v rail at the molex connector it reads 3.45v and 3.28v at the MOFSET so i think my PSU is fine. BTW just looked at the box it is a starnet PSU not Q-TEC they just look exactly the same so i presumed mine was Q-TEC

will doing the v5 rail mod increase my ocing abilities much, as i really think there is a lot more in my chip

If it's at 4.99V then no. Try doing the V~Core mod for your mobo to raise the overclock, the V~Mem and maybe chipset mod as well...

Just read it's at 4.89, it'll probly not make a difference if it stays at 4.89 when o/c'ed, but it'll probably drop alot when/if you do v~core/v~mem mods so it may be worth it. I prefer the 'solder to ferrite ring' idea/method rather than to the mosfets themselves, let the f/ring clean the voltage like it's 'sposed to ;) ...

Hoots idea of soldering the +5V 'sense' wire to the mosfet sounds good, theoreticly the PSU should raise the output voltage till it reaches 5V's...

Last edited:
Back