• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

If you are waiting for an x86-64 cpu, forget about it

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Krusty

Insane Overclocking Clown
I was speaking with one of my professors today who is pretty deep into the machine architecture industry. In fact, he was the foremost researcher/contributer to a technology called simultaneous multithreading, otherwise known as hyperthreading in the pentium 4s. Anyhoo, we got to talking about the 64 bit architecture Intel is working on. First of all, it turns out that it will mostly NOT be for any type of personal computers. Second of all, he basically told me that the architecture is incredibally crappy and will not only not yield any performance increase, but most likely perform worse than the current 32 bit architecture.

Just felt like mentioning that. I'm a bit disappointed. I wanted my cool 64 bit computer in the next few years.

*enter AMD Opteron* I didnt even know intel was making their own x86-64 setup, I thought they were sticking to pure 64bit processors like their Itanium

Back