• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How hot should my AMD athlon xp be running with a Volcano 9

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Steven4563

could a few people tell me how hot my AMD atlhon 2100+ should be running with a volcano9 i have 3 case fans 2 blowing air out and 1 sucking air in

Thankz:)

my 2400+ tbred b with 250mhz o/c runs at 35C with a 20C ambiant

(case is at ambiant fan is at 3000rpm)

is your cpu tbred or palomino?

Last edited:
What sort of thermal paste are you using (Thermal paste is the pink pad / silver goop that goes between the processor and the heatsink, if you didn't know)

If you're using the little pink pad, I strongly suggest getting some arctic silver 3. You can get some in the UK (come to think about it, you live near me :D I'm from guildford :)) from overclockers.co.uk and use that instead.

If you are already using arctic silver 3, or similar, check the mounting of the heatsink on the chip - if it's on back to front, or if it's touching the socket at all, then re-mount it (with new thermal goop).

Sorry if i've treated you like you're dumb, no offence intended (just trying to answer any further questions)

ImG

*sudden thought*

What are your temps like when you run the fan at full speed? Are they very different, or is there little improvement?

Check this before you go and take off the heatsink - if there is a big temp drop, then you know where the problem lies (if so, search overclockers UK for a nice quiet fan :D)

If there is no real improvement, check the mounting of the HSF.

ImG

this sounds like a case of badly fitted hsink

i would recormend that you reseat the hsink with a thermal paste sutch as arcticsilver3

if you can get it lapped as this helps alot with the v9.

if you dont notice any differance then try it again as there is alot of luck involved in getting it seated properly.

did you take off the thermal pad that came with the heatsink already onit? (the pink/brown crap on the bottom part) before you put your silver stuff on it, if you didnt then dont expect great temps. also, are those temps the on diode or the cpu socket?

it didnt have anything on the heatsink when i got it in the box it came it with thermal grease but i went to the local computer store and got some sliver compound
the temps are from the cpu socket

thankz alot guys i resat the volcano 9 again with less thermal grease and now the temps are at 41C with the fan running at 4000 rpm

Titan heatsink sliver grease should i go buy a better one for the temps to go down more ?

if so which one do u think i should go for?

the best out is arctic silver 3, your better off ordering it online so you get the real thing, there are alot of fakes. might knock a ew c's off.

Back