• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Please Please Help

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

lazerblue31

Registered
I have a bit of a wierd one here. Please dont get bored with this im desperate for help.
My pc takes a few times to switch on before it posts the bios, then manages to load desktop succesfully. Everything runs fine and can play games all day. My sig was:

XP2400 @ 2332mhz - 14 x 166
Asus A7N8X motherboard
2 x 256mb sticks Nanyo pc2700 @ cas2 2-2-5 (running sync)
Hercules 9700 Pro @ 351 / 662
Soundblaster Live
Modem
2 small hard drives both 5400rpm and ata100
samsung cd writer
samsung dvd drive
Thermaltake hardcano fan controller
slk800 heatsink with delta screamer 80mm
3 x normal 80mm fans in case sucking out
2 x 120mm enermax fans blowing in
Power supply cwt 460watt

Now today i have swapped my pc2700 memory for 2 sticks of 256mb pc3200 kingmax. Now with same settings as above, i get various things happening when i switch it on.
Looping re-boots, biosrom checksum errors, just wont boot at all.
If i take out one stick of memory it boots fine, and ive tried both doing this, so isnt faulty memory. Just need to know why is it doing this after just changing my memory to a better quality type.
I think its because of low quality PSU and its just got a bit much for it, with all the overclocking and everything.
What do you guys think, need a 550w Enermax.
I really really hope someone can help, im at my wits end. I bloody knew i shouldnt have upgraded.

Many thanks in advance.

I think you should go with a 350 watt or 400 watt Sparkle PSU. What the manufacturer rates it as really means nothing. But before doing anything, do these steps:
  • Check Your BIOS with the 2 sticks of ram in and seee what it reads the rails as
  • Then, take out one stick and check again
  • Now, put both back in, unplug your HDD (not needed to post), your cd/dvd-rom/rw drives, your NIC or Modem, your sound card. basically, anything that is non-essential for posting.
  • Then, boot up your PC and check the BIOS and see what your rails are out
  • Finally, reboot a lot and see if it POSTS more.
  • Also, you may try moving the RAM around to different dimm slots and see what happens

Post back with your results!

Cheers, i'll give that a try later, at work at the moment, just seems wierd that everything was working no problem before i swapped my memory with all the overclocking. Each pc3200 memory stick works no problem when on its own, its just when its paired.
Could i not go wrong with a 550w Enermax?

Enermax are a really good power supply and if u have the money to go out and grab one then by all meens.

i have the antec true blue 480w power supply and its a really good all my voltage rails are really close.

Those rails look OK. Can you raise the V~Mem voltage in the BIOS?, not all DDR RAM runs OK at the stated speed/voltage/spec. I have to run my Twinmoss 3200 @ 2.75 to pass Memtest86 without errors at 166FSB. download memtest86, make it into a floppy(it does'nt run under windows) and give it a try...

PS, don't buy Enermax!, buy Sparkle/Fortron or Antec. my enermax PSU was nowhere worth the same money as my Antec, noway near as stable voltage rails or ampage delivered, the Antec has DEDICATED +3.5V, +5V and +12V rails, not combined like most others. Enermax are good but very overpriced IMHO...

well i have had that problem when i built my rig up i was short of money so i wacked a cheap no name crappy psu in there (blew one up got another one under warranty) but i got some more money and got a nice good one and my rails are really tight now.

there isnt much u can do besides grab another psu

Back