• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Penny Sandwich Cooling mod?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

shill82

Has anyone else tried the penny sandwich mod shown here to help cool your Geforce Card? I have a PNY Ti4200 that the back of the card gets blistering hot at 290/545 while the heatsink is barely warm to touch I have already put a lot of Artic Silver trying to get better cooling but it doesn't seem to work very well I think I will try it but want to see others resuts first. Also I have a visiontek Geforce3 Ti200 that is heading south and wondered if any of you know if Visiontek is still honoring their warranties on nVidia cards now that ATI helped them out.

Thanks
Shawn

let me know how it goes also make sure to use a pre 1982 penny when you do it because after 1982 the penny's composition switched from 95% copper 5% zink to 97.5%zink 2.5%copper pretty big difference hehe.

Shawn

Hey word of warning....Dont use to much artic silver, its conductive, if you get any 2 wrong contact points ( on a RAM chip or anything), You can kill your card or cause artifacts...or just damage it permanently

Any of the good white goop would work...
ALso yeah VisionTek is sopposedly honoring thier warrenties....

Angry said:
Hey word of warning....Dont use to much artic silver, its conductive, if you get any 2 wrong contact points ( on a RAM chip or anything), You can kill your card or cause artifacts...or just damage it permanently

That's what happened to me, I got some artifacts and when I rebooted I never saw Windows again. :rolleyes:

Back