• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Pump Relay Question

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

srwven

I have a ViaAqua 1300 that I am going to hook up to a relay switch to have it turn on/off with the computer. When I cut the wires, how will I know which wire is ground and which is hot?

For AC the ground wire is usually green, and the black and white wires are "hot". I think you are confused with DC. Anyway the auquavia 1300 only has 2 wires so there is no ground. I modded mine to the switch on my PSU, using a customized molex connection. If the PSU is ON so is the pump, regardless of the computer. Also I spliced into the wire going to m/b switch, so if my pump isn't plugged into the PSU the computer won't come on. There are a few pics and brief discription HERE. If you need more details feel free to ask. I would suggest being honest with yourself about your abilities/knowledge with electricity. If you screw up possible results could be: injury/death/fire/fried computer....just use caution. And if it is over your head, find somebody who unerstands it and have them do it for you, and explaining it as they do.

peace.
unloaded

Unloaded, thanks my bad. I meant how will I know which is neutral, not ground and which is hot. I do understand AC, just screwed up my question. Thanks for the link, your picture answered my question, looks like the wires from the viaaqua are black and white inside the cord, that was basically what I was wondering. I want my pump to shut off when I turn the computer off, so I am going the relay route. In my setup my water (even with computer shut off) never goes below 33C because of the heat that viaaqua adds to the water (yes my rad fan is always on). I am not worried about pump failure as my mobo is set to shut down at 60C and the 8RDA+ has COP.

Back