• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

MCX4000 vs. PAL8942

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Voodoo Rufus

Powder Junkie Moderator
I've been snooping around the search engine and the heatsink rankings, and came across something interesting.

OC addiction lists the MCX4000 as slightly better than the alpha with the same fan.

JoeC lists the Alpha as slightly better on the CPU simulator and in case testing, though it has a stronger fan than the TMD on the Swifty.

Swiftech seems to have recently updated the MCX4000 to a B model that can take a 92mm fan, so I was wondering what people would think of noise/performance, cost-no-issue when using equal CFM on both heatsinks, like a Panaflo L1A 92 on the swifty vs. a Panaflo H1A 80 on the Alpha. In case, does blowing/sucking make a difference since with a rear exhaust, the heatsink would pull air around it (sucking) and immediately out the exhaust fan. Just tossing around some ideas here.

Maybe JoeC will retest these two or have a shootout between them on his new simulator, with a 92mm on the Swifty. Could be interesting.

Damn I wish waited for the newer swiftech.Having a 92mm fan on it would be great.I wonder if they will sell those brackets for the 92mm fan separate sometime soon.

I think the swiftech with a 92mm fan is the better choice.
Mine is quiet with a 80mm panaflo and very cool.

Most of the time the fan should blow down onto the heatsink.

I know it should blow down on the Swifty and out on the Alpha. All the new Swifty has is new fan brackets. Maybe reversing the 70mm ones that come with it might work?

What kind of Panaflo do you use?

My concerns are minimum noise with OC abilities that go with water. That's why I use it. If I could get H2O OCs with air and the same or lower noise levels I'd use it. That's why these new monster heatsinks are attractive.

I didn't get 70mm brackets with my swifty.For the 70mm fan it screws into the base same as a 80mm fan but different holes.

I am using Panaflo Axial Fan 80x80x25.5mm, Ball Bearing, DC 12V, 3.24W, 3450 RPM, 46.9 CFM, 38.2 dB-A Model: FBA08A12U .
At full speed it's still average quiet and tolerable.I got the faster one because I can always attach my speed switch and slow it down if it was noisy.

It certainly is easier than watercooling and I am pretty happy with mine.

Last edited:
Back