• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Do I need a new PSU?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Arcanist

Hi guys, I know you probably get asked this question alot, but this is my first time at this site and I'm really desperate. For christmas I bought a GA-7VAXP motherboard with a athlon xp 2400+ @ 2010 ghz processor, 512 ddr pc2700 ram, geforce 4 ti4600, 40 gb western digi HD.

I'm currently running it with a 300watt, 160watt combined PSU. While playing my computer it ill randomly reboot for no reason. Sometimes it will do it multiple times. I sent my computer off thinking it was defective, they couldn't find a problem, then I started thinking about the PSU. Could not enough power cause it to reboot like that? Ifso, what power supply size do you recommend? I use the on board sound, lan, and all the other onboard peripherals.

Any input is appreciated thanks in advance.

the power supply is most likely the problem. are you overclocking your pc? if u are then u may need to try higher voltages for stability, but dont forget the heat factor :)

i would say maybe a 400w sparkle would be more than enough for your current setup

Going on what you have stated is on your system, I am wondering what else you have in it.
How many case fans??
How many CD-RW/DVD-RW/CD-ROM etc??
Just the one harddrive??
And extra lights?
Any sound card add ons? Game controllers? Other items plugged into the same power strip like your speaker amp unit?

My recommendation would be an Antec Truepower 480Watt if you have 2 or more items I listed in addition to what you have listed.

As for the random rebooting, does it only happen when using games or maxing out the CPU etc?? What Operating System are you running and do you have the latest NON-BETA nVidia Detonator drivers installed??
Under device manager, do you have any yellow triangles??

Sounds like PSU problem. Sparkle/Fortron are very well liked on this forum, I got an Antec 550W myself. I certainly would'nt get less than a 400W PSU for an overclocked Athlon, a quality one for sure!, never buy a generic PSU for a 'performance' PC...

Don't be so hasty guys. I think you are jumping the gun saying his power supply is the problem. It MAY be, but I think we need more information before you make the guy spend more money :) I would recommend that you unplug un-needed devices from the system first to see if it reduces the load on you currnet PSU and stops the reboots and hangs. If you system is still locking with just you motherboard/cpu/ram/videocard/ram/HD, I would say it isn't you PSU. Just my 2 cents though.

My P4 system has the following :

P4 at 2.4 Ghz
Radeon 9700 Pro
SB Audigy
Modem
256MB DDR of memory
CDRW
DVD
Floppy
120GB Western Digital
2 80MM Case fans, and a 60MM fan on the CPU
ALL RUNNING ON A 160watt PSU