• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Searching for the quietest HD...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

toxik co2

With my water cooling setup I can barely hear any fans...currently I have a 60GB WD 7200RPM HD which whines like crazy.....I was wondering whether to get the Maxtor 80GB (8MB) or WD 80GB SE. Or any other drives that are quiet?

I'd have to say that the Barracuda IV's are one of the quietest. The only time you really hear them is when it's seeking on the drive, and then it is still quite quiet (yikes! qqqqq...).

why are you guys talking about the barracuda IV, the barracuda V are quieter and are by far the quietest hard drives. The 180GXP is pretty close.
go here: www.storagereview.com
click on database at the top then choose idle noise

here's the top 7:

Seagate Barracuda ATA V (120 GB ATA-100) - 37.8
Seagate U6 (80 GB ATA-100) - 38.8
Seagate Barracuda 36ES2 (37 GB Ultra160/m SCSI) - 39.3
IBM Deskstar 180GXP 8 MB (180 GB ATA-100) - 40.1
Maxtor DiamondMax 16 (160 GB ATA-133) - 40.7
Maxtor DiamondMax Plus 9 [8MB, 80GB/plat] (160 GB ATA-133) - 41.0
Seagate Barracuda ATA IV (80 GB ATA-100) - 41.3

I've had 3 drives, a 10gig Maxtor, and 2 60 gig (IBM Deskstar and a Seagate Barracuda IV) HDD's. Both newer drives destroy the maxtor, especially noise. There isn't much difference between the IBM and the Seagate drives i have. The IBM runs slightly hotter (to touch) but is very slightly quieter (not noticably, see earlier posts in this thread) so it's up to you. Both are damn quiet, i would recommend either :)

Back