• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SOLVED Tt Volcano 9+ powerful enough?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
N

nerdlogic

I just got my 2100+ today and realized that it was a t-bred "b" week 0301, so i'm going to o/c it (see sig for clarification)...My question is...will the volcano 9+ be powerful enough to keep my temps low, or should i get something else? any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

EDIT:
I also want to add in that I'm hoping to get up to 2.3GHz, maybe 2.5 and stable if at all possible...i found a volcano 9+ for 19.99, but I'm wondering if I could/should get better cooling for around the same price, or around $30.

Last edited:
In my opinon the Volcano 7+ is a better heatsink/fan combo.
I used a V7+ on my 2400+ before I got the SLK-800a I'm using now and it worked great. A buddy used the V9 on his 2000+ and almost burned it up, as well as it being a little stiffer to mount on the socket gently. I know for me, a good layer of ASIII and a solid copper base win everytime over combo material bases and other thermal grease. Right now I'm using the V7+ 70mm fan on my SLK-800a and it works great.

I upgraded from a V9 to an SK7 just the other day.

Tbred 1700+
Asus A7V333

Before:
before.gif

After (Still using the Smart Fan II from the Volcano 9) :
after.gif

Go with the SK-7. :)

i think the v9 is one of the best packages out there but unfortuantly it is not the best at raw performance.

if you are looking for a very high o/c then you need to spend a bit more money on a slk-800/900 or mabey a sk7.

i have the v9 and my temps are

ambiant 20C
load 38C
Idle 33C

thats with a 2400+ @2250 (250mhz o/c) and the fan at full speed

its very good value for money and can give you a desent o/c

so this is your 1700+ @ 2GHz? those are great temp drops! i'm wondering if I could keep those temps using your setup & maybe get to 2.0 or 2.3 w/ staying around 40 under full load.

Roadkill said:
I upgraded from a V9 to an SK7 just the other day.

Tbred 1700+
Asus A7V333

Before:
before.gif

After (Still using the Smart Fan II from the Volcano 9) :
after.gif

Go with the SK-7. :)

i had 2 heatsinks both with stock fans that came with the heatsinks....the volcano 9 (80mm fan) and the slim volcano 8 (60mm fan with 26cfm of air) both by thermaltake. the volcano 9 was about 5 degrees higher or hotter than the much smaller slim volcano 8 during idle and at full load even with the fan of the volcano 9 at fulll speed. i think it's because the slim volcano had the whole base with copper while the volcano 9 only had the circle portion as copper with aluminum surrounding it. so, what i did was i purchased one of these plastic fan adaptors from compusa (60 to 80mm). installed the volcano 9 fan on the volcano 8 heatsink and my temps dropped by 3 more degrees at mid fan speed. i don't think volcano 9 is as good as their website says it to be. plus it's so heavy. i would go with the other guys advice and go with the 7+ or something with a full copper base.

nerdlogic said:
so this is your 1700+ @ 2GHz? those are great temp drops! i'm wondering if I could keep those temps using your setup & maybe get to 2.0 or 2.3 w/ staying around 40 under full load.

I would think so. I've upped the Vcore to 1.8 (Reads ~1.85) and under load I hit 39 on the CPU diode. Of course you have to take ambient temps into consideration... My SK-7 is in bad need of lapping though. I had to use double the amount of AS3 than I did on the Volcano 9.

With my 2100+ at 2363 and 1.85v my Volcano9 was struggling to keep cpu temp at 45 C under load. Switched to the SLK-800 w/92mm Tornado and temp is down to 35 C under the same conditions. Volt-mod is coming and hopefully I'll reach 2.5 Ghz under 2v and still be under 40 C.

cool! thanks for all the input! it really helped me pick a hsf. one more question....am I going to need an adapter for the tornado on the slk-800?

iced g said:
i had 2 heatsinks both with stock fans that came with the heatsinks....the volcano 9 (80mm fan) and the slim volcano 8 (60mm fan with 26cfm of air) both by thermaltake. the volcano 9 was about 5 degrees higher or hotter than the much smaller slim volcano 8 during idle and at full load even with the fan of the volcano 9 at fulll speed. i think it's because the slim volcano had the whole base with copper while the volcano 9 only had the circle portion as copper with aluminum surrounding it. so, what i did was i purchased one of these plastic fan adaptors from compusa (60 to 80mm). installed the volcano 9 fan on the volcano 8 heatsink and my temps dropped by 3 more degrees at mid fan speed. i don't think volcano 9 is as good as their website says it to be. plus it's so heavy. i would go with the other guys advice and go with the 7+ or something with a full copper base.

its a good heatsink. chances are you installed it wrong. anyway, it is not in anyway heavy. If you think thats heavy, id hate for you to get your hands on an slk-800 lol.

nerdlogic said:
am I going to need an adapter for the tornado on the slk-800?

For the 92mm Tornado? No, no adapter but it is a bit of a tight fit and requires you to bend the wire clips slightly. A 92mm fan fits better on the SLK-900 but I don't think it's worth the extra $20.

btw, where can I find a 92mm tornado

EDIT:
or would an 80mm fan do just as well?

Last edited:
The 80mm TT SF-II is 48dB and 75cfm at full speed.
The 80mm Tornado is 55dB and 84cfm at full speed.
The 92mm Tornado is 56dB and 119cfm at full speed.

I figured an extra 35 cfm was worth 1 more dB. Plus they're around the same price. I switched from a SF-II and I didn't notice an increase in noise.

It can be found nearly anywhere the SLK-800 is sold. Right now however many vendors are out of stock of the SLK. I got mine from SVC. SLK was $30 and Tornado was $14.

wow! sounds good. I might go with the slk-900, even though it is $50...the 800 is sold out everywhere where the price is good. the only place that I found it has it for $46! If i'm going to pay that much, it might as well be a 900 for $50.

You're right, if they're the same price might as well get the 900. You'll have less of a chance of chipping the core or putting a screwdriver tip through your motherboard. :D

Also although I didn't have any problem with my 1 order from SVC it appears lots of other people have (and are still having) problems with SVC losing orders or sending partial/incorrect shipments.

oooh....I hope everything goes smoothly...I want to finish building my rig already!

james.miller said:

its a good heatsink. chances are you installed it wrong. anyway, it is not in anyway heavy. If you think thats heavy, id hate for you to get your hands on an slk-800 lol.

how can you install a heatsink wrong? you mean with the recessed part at the bottom going the wrong direction. nope...been building computers for a while now so i know that much and also how much of the thermal paste to put. i dunno...i just wasn't impressed with the volcano 9. i'm not saying it's a bad heatsink. i think there are just better ones that are smaller, lighter, and cost a little less and can outperform it. yup....i would go with the slk-800 but being paranoid me, i would be scared of ripping my mb....not that it would.

Back