• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Which Power Supply??

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

NetNinja489

Registered
I pretty much dont know anything about power supply voltage stuff so i was wondering if you guys could help me out in making a decision about which psu i should consider purchasing.

I currently run some generic 300w psu, my system is in my sig.

I wanted to choose from the Antec True380, Antec SL350, or Enermax EG365P-VE.

From the three that you've selected I'd go with the Antec TP 380W. You could go with an even higher model if you want but the 380W should be sufficient. I would not buy an Enermax for the reason of their poor quality and sagging 5V lines.

To say Enemax is a poor quality PSU is rather untrue or an exaggeration, lets just say the one you had was a poor one....Dont be fooled Enemax makes good PSU......

mata2974 said:
To say Enemax is a poor quality PSU is rather untrue or an exaggeration, lets just say the one you had was a poor one....Dont be fooled Enemax makes good PSU......

Not exactly....this isn't just based on my experience but many others as well. There has definitely been a drop off in quality with Enermax.

do u guys recommend a place to buy the antec true380 for a good price? I tried pricewatch but they had false prices because of sites posting the prices of true 330.

Well, Newegg and Directron both have them for 70 bucks....start looking around for someone cheaper than that.

I'd go for a 400w Sparkle/Fortron over any of the above mentioned...

My 350W enermax was'nt a POS but I was'nt happy with it either, the +5V rail did sag and sway like a fat momma, definately overpriced IMHO :) ...

I would go with Newegg, Directron and Gogglegear as mentioned. However, you will deffinatly pay MORE than you have to at COMPUSA. They do not price fairly at all and it would be a waste of money. Here are some examples. I live in AZ and have seen these prces face first. When I asked the sales person why they were ripping people off with these prices, he told me this is the market acceepted price and if we find it online for less it might be a stolen shipment or a one time offer. ??? Stolen shipment???

Example, BAWLS per case.
Case of Bawls = 24 10oz Bottles. All locations sell for $20-$24
CompUSA Case of Bawls = 12 10oz bottles for $17
Here in AZ not online.

Example 2 AMD Athlon XP 2400+ 2.0GHz CPU RETAIL
2400+ at Googlegear = $154.00
2400+ at CompUSA = $299.99!!!!! WHATEVER!!!!
http://www.compusa.com/buildyourown/product_info.asp?product_code=299636&pfp=BUILDYOUROWN AND in AZ!!!

Example 2 PNY VERTO 128MB Ti4600 GFX card.
PNY VERTO 128MB Ti4600 at Googlegear = 241.00
PNY VERTO 128MB Ti4600 at CompUSA = $325.00
Here again in AZ not online

Don't waste your money at CompUSA. You will always pay more than you have too. Same goes for Fry's Electronics. They charge a little less than CompUSA but approx. 80-90% of all returns endup back on the shelf with a white sticker stating a return, however the items are NOT TESTED PRIOR TO RESTOCKING!!!!! NEVER!!!!

They also like to sell motherboards for full price even though they are missing parts and peices (floppy connector, BIOS chip etc)

Stick with the 3 listed, and any others you find OK at http://www.resellerratings.com

Finally to answer your PSU question, get the Antec TruePower. I have the 480Watt version and love it. Always accurate and stable. Plus I like the blue light inside! LOL! :D

Last edited:
Thanx for the lesson in buying pc parts, I too know not to buy from CompUSA or BestBuy, sometimes even at Fry's. So when I saw that post about where I could get the PSu I was shocked to see anyone mention such stores. So yeah won't be buying parts from any of those places, not until I start working there over summer anyway :D

Cool, I hate CompUSA with a passion for that kind of pricing and figured I would take the opertunity to make my statments.

At anyrate I hope you find and enjoy a PSU that will fit your needs. Like I stated, I like the Antec TruePower Series. :D

Don't waste your money at CompUSA. You will always pay more than you have too. Same goes for Fry's Electronics. They charge a little less than CompUSA but approx. 80-90% of all returns endup back on the shelf with a white sticker stating a return, however the items are NOT TESTED PRIOR TO RESTOCKING!!!!! NEVER!!!!
Since when is staring at the returned product not the same as testing it?

When I've returned video cards and mobos, they plugged them in and let them boot, except when I told them that product was defective, in which case they put a "return to manufacturer" sticker on it.

A lot of times when you see a return stocker on a product, it's because something similar went on sale a few days later, but Fry's doesn't seem to put stickers on returned CPUs and memory because I once got a Duron with some bent pins on it and grease on its slug, and once the memory was a lot smaller than it was supposed to be.

Back