• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Power supply problem?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Falcon-K

alright i have a 300 watt power supply, my computer turns on fine and posts fine and then goes into windows and everything seems fine, but when i try to do anything intensive such as trying to do benchmarking or even play games the computer just turns off :(.....my computer worked fine for about two weeks and then i started having this problem, any help would be much appreciated

athlon XP 2400+
512 PC 2100 DDR
Ti-4200 128 mb
cd writer
dvd player
floppy
a abit KD7 KT400 board
40 gb 7200 RPM HD
80 gb 7200 RPM HD

i was also only able to overclock to a horrible horrible 2025 mghz
:( so i dont know if i was out of power or what but now i can hardly do anything

thanks!

Sounds more like a driver issue than a PSU problem. Similar to Arcanist's problem. I would double check your BIOS, nVidia drivers and motherboard drivers are all the latest. You should also double check your temps on the CPU since that will shut down a system as well during benchmarkings. You may have it set too low in BIOS or in your monitor program as well as having a faulty CPU fan or heatsink setup etc etc etc.

i have the latest bios, nvidia drivers and mobo drivers, i also have the auto turn off feature turned off, my heatsink/fan is a volcano 7+ with artic silver and its on there securely and the fan runs at 6500 RPM

You did not say what brand of PSU you have. If you have a crappy 300W that might be your problem. How old is your PSU, what are your voltage readings especially under load. As I have learned recently a cheapo 300 or even 400 watt PSU sometimes only puts out the equal to a name brand (read more expensive 200watt) PSU.

Someone posted a really good tip, when you computer is under load, put your hand behind the PSU fan and feel the air, if it is HOT then it might be time for another PSU.

I am a newbee myself but this is what I have learned in the past few months.

Back