• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

GeForce cooling...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

RichRymer10

Registered
My GeForce 2 MX200 is really burning up :mad: with the stock heatsink. Its getting even hotter now that I overclocked the card. I'm looking into buying either a Blue Orb or Crystal Orb by ThermalTake. But, the heatsink that surrounds these orbs are soo small. Will this actually be better than the stock heatsink (stock heatsink is about 1 cm height with no fan)??

With a card like a 2MX200 you can get by with any standard heatsink/fan from a Socket 7 setup, I've got the retail sink from my K6-2 on my 2MX400 and it works fine, I don't even use the fan anymore. Just put some thermal paste in the middle and a small bit of crazy glue on the corners and then make sure the sink is held on firmly while the glue sets. And try to make sure you don't get any glue on the pins on the side of the chip, I can't remember if crazy glue is conductive or not.

I wouldn't spend money on a heatsink for such an old card, just strap on a old socket heatsink and it'll be fine.

both the b-orb and c-orb will improve cooling but there both very noisey

i agree that using an old cpu hsink is the best way to cool on old card. its cheap and will let you o/c to the max. i use a old socket A hsink rated for 1ghz its a bit of an overkill but i can o/c my card very high and its very cool(and looks cool)

Edit: you can see ithere

and get some ramsinks they help alot on older cards

Last edited:
Back