• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

PSU blew

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Kopfab

I wanted to test a Western Digital 120GB HD that was preventing another pc from booting in my old 3 years old 500mhz Athlon with a 250W PSU. I disconnected the pc's cd-drive, put the HD in it's place, put the power cable in the PSU, and as I was screwing the monitor cable on, the PSU made a loud "bam" and started ommiting smoke !
Anyone got an idea ? PSU too old ? I never heard of HDs killing a PSU..

I have a similar question, that I would appreciate any feed back on. I put together a 2000+ Athalon system for my old man, and the power supply went last weekend, so we got a new power supply and it still won't work. Turns out the Drive is fried too,the bios doesn't even see it on the IDE bus when it boots. It was a WD 40 gig. Is more probable that the PSU shorted frying only the HD on the same PSU pigtail as the CD-burner or that the HD shorted frying the PSU.

Sounds like a short or wire touching somewhere, rather than the HD actually causing the problem

I had a stick of corsair XMS 3200 short out my BD-7II a few weeks ago. It only blew the fuse in the psu.

Back