• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

KVM switch for use with dual monitors?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Caffinehog

Übercaffinated Member
Is there a KVM switch for use with dual monitors? I intend to have two computers with two video cards each. I also intend to have a 21" monitor and a 19" monitor. I don't want to have to go through switching cables around, and I'd like to be able to use the same keyboard and mouse. Does anyone know where I can find something like that? Or will I just have to buy two switches?

Hah! Forget that.:rolleyes:

So where CAN I find cheap, good KVM switches of the single monitor variety?

And if I have a KVM switch, I can switch from one computer to the othe without turning it off, right?

2 flavors.
Powered, like these;
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/A...ksmsubsite-sub-ce-asin-20/002-1825837-0209627

or mechanical, like these;
http://www.wehavecables.com/quality/152839.html

I use the Hawking 4-port KVM, and like it very much. Been in constant use for almost 3 years without a problem. With that you don't have to mess with anything once you are hooked up. With the mechanicals, you have to set the switch to the box you want to fire up, let it boot completely, and then do the same with the next. Once they are all fired up, you can switch between them at will.

Comready has much better pricing on KVMs. They have an off-branded model with cables for $36 and some name-branded ones without cables for a little less. They sell cables fairly cheap there as well. I believe you can get the male-to-male you need for right around $7 each. I bought my 4-port and some cables from them...more cables recently.

Stay away from manual switches if you can. They often don't support very good resolutions, can have ghosting effects and will often times lose the mouse when switching.

Back